First a quick thank you to those who reached out via the blog or email. It really sucks to watch your kids go through heartbreak, doesn't it?
For anyone wondering, Guppy 2 is doing "okay". We have had a constant revolving door of friends visiting/sleeping over. It has kept G2's spirit up as much as they can be. Later this afternoon she is heading to a hockey game with her BFF and BFF's aunt to which she is very much looking forward. (The BFF Aunt is incredibly supportive, bubbly, and generous to a fault. She loves G2 like family which I will be forever grateful for!)
Next weekend, we have our Lantern Lights Tour and G2 is giving her BFF the ticket originally bought for the ex-boyfriend. We will probably be doing gingerbread houses and other "festive" things so that should help keep G2 busy all weekend.
Then, the Friday before Christmas we have our big concert in Long Island. Luckily, G2's BFF was scheduled to go with us from the beginning. The BFF has been going to see this band with us since the girls were nine years old and this is a special "anniversary" show dedicated to performing one of our favorite albums in its entirety. No doubt it will be a fun night for all of us!
I guess my point is that I *think* we have enough fun stuff coming up to get G2's Christmas spirit back! As the days go on, I think it may be getting a little easier for her to move on past D....at least that's Papa and my hope. More people have reached out to G2 than she expected and she has found her support system is way larger than she thought it would be. I cannot begin to tell you all how much that warms my heart!
Here are a few things I have done to save a bit of money recently....
1 Returned some empty printer ink cartridges to Staples. The customer service rep said it would take about a month for an email with my coupon to be generated. That's okay though. I can always grab something from Staples in January - I'm a notebook/paper/pen fiend! A $20 voucher will be heading my way and I got a small bag of junk out of the house!
2, While it might not seems frugal initially, I am calling this a win. I did a HUGE stock up over at CVS for Health & Bath supplies. My out of pocket amount was $78.32 (ouchie!) BUT I saved almost $42 AND got $16 in ECBs for a future purchase.
Included in my haul:
1. 6 boxes of tissues (enough to most likely last a year)
2. 6 bottles of body wash
3. 2 LARGE bottles of shampoo
4 2 bottles of conditioner
5. Enough feminine products to last at least three to four months
6. New toothbrush for Papa
7. 24 rolls of toilet paper
I'm partly calling this a "win" since I have been having trouble just keeping my head above water lately and thinking straight! LOL
3. Papa and I have been trying to steal time here and there to watch Christmas movies we have DVR'd from the Hallmark Channel, watch Christmas DVDs we already have, or alternate reading aloud one of our favorite Christmas books (Let It Snow - three authors with stories that intertwine).
4. A new Thai place opened up and I REALLY wanted to just say "Screw it! Let's go!" to Papa on the night that G2 was with her friends and G1 was at Ramsey's. Rather than doing that, I stuck to my original plan for cooking dinner at home - Blackened Chicken Salads - which was delicious. We will save the Thai place for another time. Possibly after the new year begins.
5. I was able to earn another $10 in Target gift cards. As (bad) luck would have it, some of the strands of lights on the tree have shorted - of course AFTER the tree was completely decorated. But, I have a total of $15 in gift cards so Papa and I will run over there tonight and grab some new lights for most likely $0 out of pocket.
6. I "earned" another $10 in Amazon gift cards as well! My total "free" Amazon money was $45! There is $25 left since I bought myself new slippers (which Papa will wrap up and put under the tree for me as one of my gifts LOL).
7. I scored a free 8x10 wall calendar from Shutterfly. I have until 12/31 to order it but will probably do it this week sometime. Papa's office is kind of bare and I thought a wall calendar with pictures from our Vermont trip and our family would brighten it up a bit. *Hopefully* I will get it by Christmas....if not, I'll find a way to let him know that the calendar is on the way. =)
And I guess that's it!
I hope everyone has a great Sunday!