Friday, October 23, 2015

Five Frugal Things...



Here are my 5 frugal things for today.....


1.   Attended a FREE lecture given by Wally Lamb at the very local private school in our town!  It was great and very inspiring for me!  He was doing a book signing after the lecture, which I chose not to do.  Even though the school had a book store come in to supply books for purchase, they were all paperback. Having a paperback book signed doesn't make much sense to me - durability speaking.  So the temptation was low to "just do it".


2.   Papa worked from home today, avoiding the wear and tear on the car and the gas!


3.   Papa decided to get his haircut while I was at the lecture.  So, I had him drop me off on his way to the barbershop (saving me gas) and then he picked me up afterwards since the timing worked perfectly.  Otherwise I would have walked home.


4.   I forgot to take the eye round roast out of the freezer for tonight's dinner.  Knowing it would never thaw in time, I came up with a Plan B from what is already in the house.


5.   Okay, not sure if this one counts but....A good friend of mine invited G2 and I to "Fright Fest" at Six Flags New England the day before Halloween.  They have season passes and it's bring a friend free day so we get in free!  She is also doing the driving!  Yay!  Although I am thinking about trying to give her money towards gas at least.  Even though the plans aren't for today, it counts right?  LOL


***Bonus***   I charged my phone in the car on the way to and from the lecture this morning.  Yes, it was only for a total of about twenty minutes BUT I put it on airplane mode to get the maximum charge and it's less electricity I have to use at home.

4 comments:

  1. Great frugal things! I especially like the idea of charging your phone while you're driving so you use less electricity at home. Greg does that too but I think it's because he has a long commute and he needs to plug in his phone to stream his music in the car anyway, not because he's trying to be frugal.

    Did your husband contact the recruiter about the status of his interview?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not yet. I think he's waiting until Monday now since the recruiter probably wouldn't have bothered getting back to him on a Friday afternoon. It's frustrating though that this recruiter didn't follow up with Papa either way already. We knew it was more of a "stretch" position since Papa doesn't have any real experience ordering from blueprints but it would be nice to know what's going on.

      Delete
  2. I used to charge my phone in the car all the time but now I totally forget and I am not in the car long enough to get any charge (plus I never have the darn iPhone cable). What does airplane mode do? My husband keeps telling me to save battery by shutting off wi-fi but I told him that saves money because I use it everywhere that I go so that I don't use the data plan. I use it at home, at work, at the grocery store, at the library and wherever I can so that I don't use data so that I don't go over the plan. I figure that even though I am running down the battery, it is save lots of money in the cell phone bill!! I also hate when you forget to take out the food on the menu but glad you came up with plan B :) We didn't have any leftovers this week so my two leftover nights that I worked into the plan were a little like finding plan B but we ate at home and didn't go out!! Win-Win :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alison, putting your phone on "airplane" mode is supposed to help charge the battery more quickly. I don't do it all that often though - especially when I am away from the kids. When the phone is on airplane mode, I don't think you are able to receive phone calls and I know you can't get texts. That makes me too uneasy as my girls use their phones quite often to text me.
      I try not to use my data - We have a 10G plan but my girls fly through most of that every month on their own! I will occasionally use it while waiting in the car for one of them if I have forgotten a book to read.
      Glad you were able to come up with Plan B's too for dinners! =)

      Delete