Friday, October 9, 2015

On the Work Front....




:Poor Papa!  This current job is really stressing him out badly!  He found out today that there will be no raises next year, no bonuses (surprise surprise), and our payments for healthcare are going up another 3.9%!  Also, the project he is on (helping convert the computer systems to a new ***crappy!*** one) is not going as planned at all!  The next division isn't set to launch on the new system until at least 2017 - which means the "big" bonus for completing the project is probably never going to happen!  Well, maybe by the year G2 (only 13) finished college!  LOL  And the head of the entire project just up and quit yesterday!  While Papa's job there would be secure since the company has to finish the system switch, it wouldn't be a fun place to stay employed.
However....He has a job interview on Monday morning for that position that would start at around 15 to 20K more than he makes now.  He's not sure he's completely qualified for it but, the headhunter obviously thinks he's qualified enough to interview!  It's much closer to home - about thirty minutes away and right off the highway.  It's a large stable company too so that's a bonus!  As much as the extra money would help, I really really need Papa to be happy in his job!  So fingers crossed he likes the position and they like him! 
If not, the search will continue!


As for me, while at breakfast yesterday, my friend was telling me about a side job she is doing for someone she used to work with at CVS pharmacy.  Basically this man has four pharmacies in the state but has also started an online pharmaceutical company that has taken off.  He is trying out a program where he hires people to do the computer data entry of the prescriptions at home.  My friend is his "guinea pig" and, if it works out, she will be training more people to do it with her.  When this trial period is over for her and all the bugs are worked out, she is going to let me know and give my name to this owner.  I trust her and know that this isn't some weird "scheme".  I really would love to work from home but have always been leery of finding something on the internet due to the millions of scams out there.  No matter what, it looks like I am going to need to find some sort of part time work in 2016.


9 comments:

  1. Good luck to both of you! We won't hear from Greg's employer about next year's medical options and cost until probably late November (that's how it was last year). They just went through some reorg and we're not sure they're done with the laying off so we just hope he keeps his job as they are currently 2 departments that seem to be doing the same thing now reporting to the new bog boss. Bonuses will probably be very small next year, I would think, and I never count on a raise (nor a bonus, for that matter) just in case.

    A much shorter commute would be so good for your home life, finances and his stress level! Would you still need to take on a part-time job if he got the better paying job?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure it would be a question of "having" to get a job if he got this one. However, it would be nice to be able to tackle the credit card debt faster so we were in a better position for when G2 was ready to go to college as well. And if it's something I can do from home, I would be more than willing to give it a shot.
      Bonuses are always nice but not something to count on, I know. Papa's company hasn't really given raises out in two years now, while taking more of his paycheck for healthcare, is more than disheartening.

      Delete
    2. Ha, my mistake then. I thought I had understood from your post that you might have to take a part-time job but weren't looking forward to it :) I agree that additional income would definitely help get you out of debt faster, especially if you didn't have the expense of having to buy business attire, drive to work, etc. I hope everything works out!

      Delete
    3. I could see where you may have gotten the impression that I wasn't looking forward to it! LOL Honestly, it has been more a question of "when" since we are concerned about how our income will affect what kinds of assistance G1 will be able to receive.

      Delete
  2. I found you through Nathalie's blog and have been kind of lurking around your blog for a while. I am enjoying your posts. I will keep my fingers crossed for your husband. It is terrible when you have to work and just don't LOVE it. Before I retired, I had a job that I loved going to every day. But I am also hopeful that this job opportunity opens up for you as well. It sounds like it would be perfect.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Susan! Glad you found me! I love Nathalie's blog too!!!
      Yeah, it's been really hard for my husband. It's been nice to have the job security - since they need him to complete this conversion - but we have watched all benefits/bonuses/raises decline or become nonexistent. It's a completely different company than it was six years or so ago. But, I guess that happens quite often.

      Delete
  3. I have certainly been in the job situation that was horrible because the bosses and projects were so bad. Luckily, I got to leave and be a stay at home mom. My husband works for the local school system which is a county job so he has great retirements and benefits....sadly, the price of the health insurance doubled a few years ago to keep the good one and didn't want to switch doctors or go with an HMO. I certainly understand wanting to go back to work to help out a little cause I just did it this year but I am over my head with trying to keep up with the house and working. Working from home is the best of both worlds so I hope that it works out for you. (I also found you through Nathalie's blog)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hear you about not wanting to change doctors! Just last year, we had to change our "level" of insurance because we couldn't afford the "best" that the company offered anymore. We just got the new information for next year's package today and I am concerned we won't be able to even stay with the middle tier now! Thankfully I do get assistance with my copay for my Ms injections!

      Delete
  4. Just received a check for $500.

    Many times people don't believe me when I tell them about how much you can earn by taking paid surveys online...

    So I show them a video of myself actually getting paid $500 for filling paid surveys.

    ReplyDelete