Saturday, November 14, 2015

A Few Updates...



Hey guys!  I'm still here, I promise!  Yesterday was a crazy busy day - as I can expect this weekend and at least through Tuesday to be I'm sure!  Sorry this is lengthy but here's where we stand on some things...

First of all, THANK YOU for all the support!  It means so much to me, honestly I does.  This is the very first time in the entire twenty years of our marriage that we have ever faced Papa being unemployed/having no insurance.  We had a great run, don't you think?  Anyway, it's kind of overwhelming and we are doing our best, one step at a time.  So far, I think I have been handling this pretty well - at least I hope so.  It's weird - I'm the one who always worries the sky is falling yet here we are and I have been doing okay for now.  Maybe I'm a little stronger than I thought, who knows?

Thursday night G2 knew in her little heart that I was bored so she decided it would be a marvelous idea to get the stomach bug!  Yup!  Poor little guppy of mine.  So yesterday she stayed home from school.  I'm glad Papa was here because he took care of things while I did some running around that couldn't be delayed.  Thankfully she was well enough to come with us to Long Island last night!  (Otherwise I would have stayed home with her and let G1 and Papa go alone.)  She says she feels fine this morning so I'm hopeful she can still get her flu shot today.

Back to yesterday though.....

I deposited Papa vacation check - thank God he hadn't used as many days as years previous!  He had 14 unused days!  I double checked with the bank to make sure the check had an immediate release and then went home and started paying all our November bills.  I got about ninety percent of that done and will finish the rest (that have due dates for later this month) this weekend.

I got every and any prescription filled.  I was able to refill two of mine, one of Papa's, and one of G1's.  We are completely set on medication for the next three and a half months and it only cost our copay since insurance didn't run out until last night at midnight.

Papa's old company turned off his cell phone.  (He owns the phone, they paid the line.)  Of course that was to be expected.  However on Wednesday they had asked if he wanted to keep the phone number and, when he said he wasn't sure, they said to think about it and let them know.  I was hopeful it would be active until the end of the month.  No matter.  For the immediate time being, he will share my phone with me.  We changed my voicemail message to his so 1.Possible jobs/recruiters aren't confused  2.It sounds more professional.

I spoke with our pediatrician last night - God! I seriously love that woman!  Can't say enough awesome stuff about her, really!  She agreed that the cardiology appointment wasn't an emergency and could be put off until we get the insurance stuff straightened out.  She has known my daughter since she was two and thinks that what's going on is underlying anxiety.  She (like us) will feel better after an EKG is done but she is confident it can wait a bit.  G1's bloodwork came back all normal which makes our pedi more confident in waiting.

Papa and I are sharing my computer now as well since our desktop is more of a "gaming" computer and doesn't have Word.  He spent quite a bit of time updating his resume a little more and to reflect the changes in email/phone numbers.

I have to say, he has built himself a nice support system.  Not everyone knows he got laid off (besides family and a few friends).  However, the friends that do have been awesome!  One in particular sent Papa a possible job lead yesterday that is only about twenty minutes from home!  He quickly sent off his resume in the afternoon.  As he reaches out to more people, I'm sure more opportunities will come our way - including those Papa finds himself.   Monday starts the job search in earnest.

I happened upon a great sale on dog food.  It's the brand we use but not her favorite flavor.  (Yeah, my dog has a favorite flavor of dog food!  Don't judge!  Haha!)  I bought the biggest bag ($28) and filled up her container.  I am debating getting one more before the sale runs out.  She ate it last night and this morning without any problem so I know it wouldn't go to waste.  If I bought one more bag, we would get through probably until Christmas time.

I went to the grocery store after dropping G1 off to school.  But only for a small trip.  I will be being very careful with the monies spent in this area.  My parents have also offered more trips to Costco in the future.  I will be holding off on that for as long as I can.  I want to see how far/well I can do before that happens.

Papa and I talked about buying wood for the family room fireplace.  We have decided this is actually NOT a luxury item but a necessity.  The family room is the main "hub" for us but it's on concrete slab and has the sliders to the deck on side and the door to the garage on the other.  It makes for a very cold room!  Plus there isn't any door to shut this room off so it makes the rest of the house colder.  Our "wood guy" is the cheapest around and has quality stuff.  I will call him probably later today or Monday.

On the heating front, we are still able to turn off the heat in the morning so yay there!  I will continue to do this as long as I can.  We still have the 1/2 tank of oil that we started the season with.  I will keep my eye on prices (don't have a price lock) and order when the price seems right.  We love our local guy who keeps his prices low because he only delivers in our town which cuts his costs dramatically it seems.

Papa and I haven't gone through the package yet.  We were due to yesterday but well, other things had to be attended to.  We will do this no later than Monday morning.  We need the unemployment information filled and sent out.  And we need to sign whatever paperwork they sent (after thoroughly reading!) so they don't hold his severance any longer than necessary!  Payout is scheduled for this Friday.  We will see if that happens.  All I can say is it better!

I will be in charge of finding out as much as possible about the insurance and then discussing it with Papa.  That starts later today and into Sunday.  My goal is to be informed enough to make the correct decision for us by Monday morning.

I *think* that's all for now!  Sorry for the lengthy post but, as I said, my posting may be sporadic for a bit.  I will be checking in on my comments as often as I can so, if you guys have any advice, please pass it on!  Again, thank you all for being there.  It helps!  =)

Have a nice weekend!!

9 comments:

  1. It sounds like you have a good plan in place. You are so organized! If it were me, I think I would be a mess and probably not so on top of things at this point. I hope I don't get to find out, though.

    Good news about G1, sorry about G2 but it sounds like she's already on the mend. Glad she could go to the concert with you, it sounds like you needed family time.

    If the dog food is on sale and you don't think it'll be on sale again, I would say go ahead and stock up now. It's not like you're going to be able to do without unless you have to get a cheaper kind at some point.

    For the cell phone, if he ends up needing his own, have you checked Ting? The Frugal Girl has a great write-up about it. If you get wood for your fireplace make sure that the flume has been cleaned recently before starting a fire.

    Enjoy your weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Nathalie! I have been thinking about you so much since Friday night - hope the family is all still safe!

      I have to admit I haven't ever really followed the pricing cycle of the dog food. But yes, this is a very good price. And, with my dog's allergies, this is the only brand that doesn't give her ear infections. Fortunately, it isn't one of the pricey designer labels - although I have tried those in desperation in the past too. I think I am going to get the price on the wood - to make sure it's about the same as last year - and then decide if I'm going to grab another bag.

      I don't know if we have "Ting" up in our area. i haven't ever heard of it. But, we haven't been shopping for new cell service before. If I add him to the plan the rest of us are on, it will only be $20 extra per month and he will be added to our family share plan of 10G per month.

      You bring up a good point about the chimney flue. It has been awhile since we have had it serviced. Scheduling our local guy out for service is going to be put on next week's "to do" list.

      In the grand scheme of things, we are fine. At the very least for the moment. Truthfully I worry more about the unsettling climate in Paris than my current situation. =(

      Delete
  2. So proud of you, getting so much accomplished.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I have been trying! There are a million things I want to attend to and I'm afraid they are going to fall through the cracks! Later today, I am going to write up a big "to do" list for the week and then break it down into smaller daily chunks. Hopefully that will help! =)

      Delete
  3. Good for you and your hubby! You're really managing this well so far and being very practical and proactive!

    I am in CT, too. For the first time this year, we're ordering oil through cashheatingoil.com. A friend told me about it. The nice thing is that you can get 100 gallons at a time delivered instead of filling up your tank. We used it for the first time a couple of weeks ago and I was very, very impressed by the professionalism of the company who delivered our oil. Just an FYI so you can compare prices if you have to.

    My DH's hours were cut in August of 2014, and our insurance became an absolute nightmare this year. We also have several chronic medical conditions in our family so insurance is a big deal. Anyway - much to my surprise, we've made it financially. It HAS NOT been easy, but we've always, always, always had what we needed when we needed it and nothing has gotten shut off LOL!

    Continued good luck to you all!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I will definitely check the prices of cashheatingoil.com as well as our local guy.

      That's great you guys were able to make it through your crisis! I may end up picking your brain (and my other followers who live in CT) during the adjustment period. And, yes, keeping everything ON is always the goal, right? LOL

      Delete
    2. It is always the goal LOL! CT is such a difficult state in which to economize because of the astronomical cost of everything. I don't know that I'm an expert by any means, but I'm happy to share anything that's worked for us. In the meantime, you're doing a great job!

      Delete
  4. Glad to see you've had some productive time. It's important to stay busy. Keeping my fingers crossed for you as the new week unfolds.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You read my mind! Keeping busy is very very important! It helps me continue to feel some control over the situation at the very least. Papa already has a plan about how to tackle the next few weeks - as to putting "x" amount of hours into job searching/networking per day. I am thinking about also making a small "honey do" list for him to keep him feeling productive. Mostly this list is going to consist of things that he didn't have time to do and won't cost anything or very little. We also have a $100 gift card for Home Depot he got on Father's Day. I will keep that in mind while making this list for him and thinking of anything on a larger (but still smaller) scale that can be tackled.

      Delete