Tuesday, November 17, 2015

A Little More on This "Friends-giving" Business....


Have you heard of this new "Friends-giving" craze?  It usually is held on Thanksgiving - from my understanding, people who are away from their families invite friends in the same boat over to enjoy the traditional feast together.

Well, G2 got it into her head that SHE and her friends wanted to try this as well.  She had slept over a friend's house Saturday and called me bright and early Sunday morning - because she couldn't possibly wait the few hours to ask me when she got home!  LOL  Could they please have their little feast here at our house?  This coming Thursday?  Honestly how could I say no?

G2 has a very close knit set of friends - there are six of them in the core group.  I really like almost all of them...One is too "drama queen" for me but I would never exclude her from anything G2 planned of course!  In the grand scheme of things, I cannot complain about her friends.  That makes Papa and I incredibly happy, actually.

So "Friends-giving" at our house it is!  I am providing the house, dining room, and all dishware for said feast.  G2 will "decorate" the dining room with her friends before dinner.  Each friend will bring some sort of pot luck style dish (which I will be helping G2 coordinate so we don't get five desserts or salads!).  They want to eat dinner "all fancy like" in the dining room and then spend the rest of their time together watching Christmas movies with a fire in our family room.

How could I say no?  Of course the rest of my family is "allowed" to share in the feast although we will be demoted to a "kids table" in another room while the friends eat!  LOL  It really won't be THAT more expensive than if I was cooking regular dinner for my own family so....

OKAY!  OKAY! I admit it!  I am a softie that has a hard time saying NO!  Haha!

Honestly, though, it's going to be adorable and a great memory they will have always.

I can make this happen right now so I will.

6 comments:

  1. It sounds like G1 can't wait to be on her own to start her own traditions and it's sweet. You're a great mom for facilitating all of this. I hope they have a wonderful time and that being relegated to the kids table (ha!) isn't too disappointing for you. I'm relieved (for you!) that they all decided to make it a potluck dinner, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nathalie, quite honestly, I was relieved when G2 said they wanted it to be a potluck! Between that, and trying to keep some sort of normalcy here, I couldn't say no! G1, Papa, and I will probably go to the family room to eat in front of the TV so I think I can handle that! LOL

      Delete
  2. I think it's an awesome idea, and right now normalcy is probably a good thing. Enjoy being thankful for G2s good friends - they are really worth their weight in gold

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree on both counts!
      We are all very lucky that she has a nice set of friends! I mean she and her best friend have been together since second grade! (They are now in eighth.)
      AND, yes, normalcy is important right now. So, we are trying our best to keep everything as close to as it was before (while scrimping/saving in the background) so the Guppies don't get overly nervous about the current financial hiccup.

      Delete
  3. Sounds like so much fun. I miss having a table full of kids over now that my boys are grown and have families of their own. Enjoy these sweet memories with your daughter. You are giving her the chance to be a real friend and value those relationships. Isn't it cute how they all want to grow up so fast.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Crystal, I love having kids here to hang out. And, it was an adorable idea (and it's potluck) so why not? These kids are the cutest little "pack"! And, if this is how they want to try to grow up more quickly, how can I say no? Trying to compose/organize a mock Thanksgiving is SOOO much better than what they could be trying to do to feel "grown up". Plus this is a memory she'll keep forever. I'll let you guys know how this plays out! Should be an interesting mix of dishes! LOL

      Delete