Wednesday, November 25, 2015

Getting Ready for T-Day!


I love the holidays!  I really do!  What I don't love, however, is all the crazy running around!  For example, on Thanksgiving.....We go to Papa's aunt's house (45 minutes away) and eat - only to turn around fast, drive home and cook dinner for my parents and family!  Christmas is the same thing!  So over the past few years, Papa and I have learned a thing or two about streamlining some of the prep and cooking.  Yesterday and today are big prep days for us!  Here's what we bring and/or eat on the "big day".

Brought to Papa's Aunt's House

Gluten Free Stuffing - Aunt has Celiac and won't splurge on this for herself so we buy/cook it for her
Apple Pie - bought from our favorite town orchard
Pumpkin Pie - Papa makes a killer one!


Thanksgiving Dinner at Our House
(Since it's only us and my parents this year, it's a bit more simple than in past years.  And, yes I know we go heavy on the starches!  LOL)

Alton Brown's Good Eats Roast Turkey (need to prep brine today/soak turkey tonight)
Cranberry sauce (homemade - done yesterday)
Dumplings (dry ingredients need to be sifted together today and onions sliced and bagged)
Corn bread dressing (do today - tastes so much better the next day!)
Regular Stuffing (do today)
Mashed potatoes (prep and leave in cold water on Thanksgiving morning)
Sweet Potatoes with Adobo sauce (prep and leave in cold water on Thanksgiving morning)
Green beans with butter and garlic (trim green beans today and leave in plastic baggie)
Corn (my parents prefer the frozen Green Giant corn so easy peasy)
Possibly Brussel Sprouts with Bacon (need to look for recipe today)
Apple Pie (bought from our favorite orchard)
Pumpkin Pie (done yesterday)
M&M Brownies (made yesterday)
Peanut Butter Blossoms (make today)
Russian Teacakes (make today)


Only a *few* things to get done, haha!

Please tell me that I am NOT the only one running around like this today or on Thanksgiving!

Have a great day everyone!

2 comments:

  1. Brussels sprouts are easy! Wash, cut in half removing any brown/yellow outer leaves. Put in one layer on baking sheet with that has raised sides. Olive oil, salt pepper and a shake of garlic powder if you have it. Put in oven when the turkey is almost done. (You can also do this on stove in sauté pan, but need to keep stirring). Watch for them to start browning. Add cooked chopped bacon when about to serve. Voila! Happy Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds so yummy! I usually roast them with salt, pepper, and olive oil but want to do something with bacon as well. I'll be saving this for next time I make them. We didn't have them for Thanksgiving because my parents can't stand the smell! (Honestly sometimes i don't know where I came from because I love veggies and they hate a lot of them! Haha!)

      Delete