Tuesday, December 22, 2015

Blogging Schedule is Waaay Off!



Actually, my "everything" schedule is so far off!  

Today has been extra crazy because I had to do most of my running around early if I wanted to have Papa's car to do it in.  His brother (remember that whole debacle?) needs a ride to get blood work done because (surprise surprise!) no one down in that section of the state has a car/can give him a ride.  So essentially Papa has to drive south for 45 minutes to get his brother, north 30 minutes to get to the lab, back south 30 minutes to drive brother home, and finally 45 minutes north again to get back home.  Oh and don't forget having to pay to park at the lab!  SMH

Do I seem a little pissy?  LOL  Papa and I had plans today to get some more Christmas stuff done - wrap, run to Target, possibly start baking and now it's down the tubes.  I guess I am pouting because time is running out before Christmas and I was really looking forward to doing these things with Papa.  Tomorrow the Guppies have a half day at school so we will be time crunched.  Oh well. And...

To be honest, I think I am angry about today for another reason that has NOTHING to really do with today.  A few days ago Papa's brother called and asked if Papa was still planning on being screened as a possible donor.  All I could think was "ARE YOU KIDDING ME??!!?"  Papa doesn't have a job and needs to be at the ready to interview whenever called, we have very very limited funds to keep our house going, and we barely have insurance!  I'm trying to not think about this all until AFTER the holidays are done but my blood is boiling a bit today - as you can tell.

No word yet from the company Papa interviewed with last week.  He is getting very discouraged and I feel so badly that there's not much I can do to change it.  I keep reminding him that December is a SLLLOOOOOWWW time for hiring.  No one is rushing to fill professional positions in December!  Plus, with the company in question, the HR person said not many people were able/willing to interview right now.  I told Papa they probably need to interview all the potential hires BEFORE contacting anyone who could already come in.  My poor guy!   

On the unemployment compensation front, Papa FINALLY got all his final numbers from the old company and called to get unemployment.  Because he has never had it before, they have to have a "hearing" - I think they basically call the old company to verify the information Papa gave them.  The hearing isn't until January 11th and they will decide then if Papa can be given retroactive unemployment benefits since he was given a severance package. 

Are we having fun yet?

I want to go back to my usual jolly Christmastime self!

9 comments:

  1. Seriously!?!? That's a total WTF question....how does the brother think the bills from that surgery will be covered? Will his insurance handle it? I get the guy may be running out of time - but his timing is pretty poor.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I believe his insurance handles the surgery but most likely not any complications later on, should they occur. Never mind that, as I said in previous posts, the recovery time for MY husband is a good eight to sixteen weeks -although from what I hear it is almost a year before he would be "healthy" again. And, let's not forget that brother's body may reject Papa's organ.
      Truthfully, my hope is to get through the rest of the holidays (Christmas and New Years) without having to fully address it. I am not in a place to rationally discuss it with Papa. I know it's only a screening process that we are talking about BUT I also KNOW how his family works. A green light on all screening will equal a green light on the surgery in their eyes. Ummm...not in mine let me tell you!

      Delete
  2. Just curious, has your husband made a decision about the testing yet?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, and I'd definitely be pissy too.

      Delete
    2. He says he's going to get screened but he has been putting it off since the last time I blogged about it - the beginning of the fall I think. My biggest worry is that the pressure to actually do the donation would increase if he got screened and was a match. He knows my misgivings about it so is trying to put it off I think.

      Delete
  3. I'm sorry you have all this to deal with on top of the lay off. I have challenges with my heart and am facing another open heart surgery in the future. I know you have on going medical challenges too. I also know this is your husbands brother but he married YOU and made his nuclear family with you and the kids you both had. So even if I needed a new heart (thank goodness I don't) I wouldn't ask a family member when there is only one income coming in (unemployment) and he needs to concentrate fully on getting a new job. It's not fair that his brother is in this position but I'm sure you (and I) know life is not always fair. Your husbands responsibility is to you and the kids and I'm sure he knows that. Family can make you feel 10x the guilt for things that aren't your doing or your fault. Hold your ground. Sorry if this is something I shouldn't have weighed in on but I know this type of stress and I felt strongly enough to say something. I've been reading your posts for 6 or so weeks and enjoy them. Hope I didn't offend you. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely no offense taken here! And I'm glad you are enjoying my blog - sometimes I think this must be the most boring blog in the world! Haha
      My husband definitely puts us first. However, ever since his dad died back in 1999, his family has looked to him as the "fixer". It's something that he has always felt good at doing. This is something that is just too big for him to fix. His brother has (what I consider) a disease but had been offered help in the form of rehab and psych help but chose to only do out patient treatment (very half heartedly.) I love my brother in law and don't want to see him die BUT I cannot condone sacrificing my husband to save him in the process.
      Like I said, it's something we will probably have to discuss again after the holidays. But, Papa knows what's at stake here and doesn't want to lose everything we have built either.
      Please, don't ever worry about offending me either! I share a LOT of what I do for advice, you know?
      Take care!

      Delete
  4. Glad to hear I didn't offend you. I was worried about that after I posted. Having health challenges I'm sure you realize more than most people you have to limit your stress (I know I do and sometimes I'm not very good at it- lol) Take care of yourself and your family and have an awesome Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sorry that you are having so many health issues as well - and they sound a lot more serious than mine! Here is to hoping you have a healthy 2016! Enjoy your Christmas too! =)

      Delete