Sunday, December 27, 2015

How This Christmas Changed Everything....



Saturday I had quickly eluded to the fact that this was a really nice Christmas.  But, seriously there were a LOT of things that made it amazing and, well, eye opening.

I have read quite a few blogs that addressed how simplifying Christmas made a huge difference to them.  While I would read these posts, I don't think the words ever sunk in..until I lived it myself.  Now I understand.

The Guppies did NOT get as many gifts as in years passed.  However, they did get the things that they truly wanted.  (In fact many people would most likely think they got MORE than needed but I guess that's all relative.)  They were very appreciative and extremely happy with what they received.   Cleaning up the wrapping paper aftermath was a cinch too. In the end, I learned filler presents were just that...filler. 

Papa and I exchanged a few gifts as well.  My favorite of all  being the heart bead for my Pandora bracelet with the words "I love you more". 

Dinner was more simple than usual but with all optimal/quality ingredients.  This translated into less stress for me in preparation, cost, and clean up.  And, I was able to enjoy dinner with everyone else!

I kept my crazy cookie baking the same because I happen to really love to do it!  Haha!

As for our time with Papa's family in the middle of the day...well....The Guppies have never liked going for myriad reasons.  This year, it became too much for even Papa. Without going through the entire mess, the final straw was seeing that our twelve year old nephew (who lives at my mother in law's with his parents and is extremely immature with anger issues) was given a real rifle with bullets.  (In case anyone wonders, the excuse that was given to us for the gift was that he needed it for the "survival skills" section of boy scouts.)  The Guppies have finally gotten their wish because next year we will not be making the 45 minute trip each way on Christmas. 

Next year, when our financial situation is on a more even keel again, we will keep with the more simple Christmas I think.  It was so much more enjoyable without all the chaos of random things piled around us and a million dishes bubbling over on the stove. 

Simple can be better.

I have finally learned the lesson myself.

6 comments:

  1. :) Totally agree. I felt horrible when I saw the small pile of gifts from Santa but he had a full stocking, some legos, and few small presents in a santa bag and his big gift which was the WiiU which is what he really wanted. It might have been a little bit of an expensive gift but I would have normally gotten a ton of filler presents because it looked like there weren't a lot even though we spent around $300 which is tons. Filler presents aren't necessary and the kids never care about them. We had a much easier morning and much less stress for me. Here is hoping that we can keep cutting back every year to get back to the giving nature of the holiday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alison, I felt very apprehensive when I looked at the presents under the tree Christmas Eve but, since the girls are older, they also knew what was there wasn't cheap!
      And I agree about getting back to the giving nature of the holiday! Not the gimme! =)

      Delete
  2. They fed you a line of crap about the rifle being for Boy Scouts survival requirements. The BSA only allows shooting at their camps and under extremely strict supervision. A better gift would have been buying the youngster an additional week at Boy Scout camp - or a good quality backpack, sleeping bag, backpacking tent or such. Heck, a leather man or Swiss Army knife is a better option and way more useful

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We figured it was BS actually! Tonight I also found out that they plan on letting our nephew keep the rifle in his room! But have the key to the gun lock in another room...Big effing deal IMO. Papa has already warned everyone that we will NOT be going down there at all while that gun is in the house. While Papa & I aren't pro-guns in our own home, this comes down to a matter of responsible gun ownership - which this clearly is not!

      Delete
  3. It's a good lesson to have learned, one that I need to keep on learning myself. I am guilty of buying "filler" presents because the one child might have asked for something that ate up most of what I budgeted for him/her and I feel bad that they'll only have 1 or 2 presents to open compared to a sibling, even though the kids know that we spend the same amount on each child but some might have more presents than others.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am sooo guilty of that too! I will literally COUNT the presents I am wrapping for each guppy! Of course I have a little leeway if I go over with G1 since her birthday is in January! We got "lucky" this year in that, although they asked for different larger presents, the monetary output for them was the same - as in G1's largest present was equal to G2's dollar wise.

      Delete