Sunday, December 13, 2015

In Case Anyone Thinks I Have Lost My Mind...



Let me start by saying that my little family LOVES tradition...to the point where Guppy 2 insists we stop at the same diner for breakfast on the way to our annual summer Vermont vacation EVEN THOUGH SHE DOESN'T LIKE THE FOOD THERE!  I have asked her why more times than I can count and her answer always is "It's tradition".

So, on that note, I feel like I need to explain a couple of things....

A LOT of you may be scratching your heads right now (probably rightfully so) wondering why the heck we took a trip to Yankee Candle when Papa is laid off!?!?!  Trust me we did more looking/smelling than buying and well, it's tradition.

This holiday season has been a rough one, with Papa not getting his severance until the middle of the month.  The presents under the tree are going to be much more sparse than in past years.  But, one thing Papa and I have agreed upon is that we need to keep our Christmas traditions going!  So, we went to Yankee Candle yesterday and will be doing our annual trip to Mystic Seaport for their Lantern Light Tours next Sunday night. Between these two outings (including tickets to the tour) we have budgeted $300.  While that money could most definitely be going to other things, we feel we need to keep the "tradition" alive.  These are experiences that our girls will take with them forever and may continue on their own as well.  I think my whole family agrees that these outings/experiences warrant less under the tree this year.

We always have a simple Christmas Eve dinner of "pickies" (appetizers, popcorn, snacks, etc) so no fancy expensive dinner for us, thus saving money there.   Christmas dinner is the same as our Thanksgiving dinners - my parents come here and, since we do the "hard" part of cooking, they help pay for the groceries for the meal.  Strange but something that has happened for the past twelve plus years.

I guess I am explaining all this because I just would rather not have anyone reading this all thinking that I am being completely foolish.  I guess I just wanted to say that we are picking and choosing where our money goes (and doesn't!) and we have chosen the two outings since the rest of our season is more of a frugal one.

Anyway, I felt like I had to get that off my chest....Hope you all have a wonderful Sunday!  And, as always, thanks for your comments, support, and tips!  Please keep them coming!  They have helped more than you can ever know!

9 comments:

  1. First of all, because you and your husband have both discussed and agreed upon this, you don't have to explain anything to anybody. And secondly, the kids will remember the gifts of experience and/or tradition for the rest of their lives. Whereas, they probably have already forgotten what they got last year under the tree. Things are easily forgotten, but they will always remember that year when they broke tradition. Hang in there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ^^^^I was going to say the exact same thing. You don't have to explain yourself to anyone. You do what works for you and your family! 💜

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you both! And Susan, you are right -- they WILL remember the year that the tradition was broken! If Papa had NOT gotten any money when he was laid off, this would be a totally different story! But, we would rather pinch pennies elsewhere to keep the memories going. Sorry if this post sounded defensive - everyone has been nothing but encouraging! Sometimes I tend to get inside my own head a little too much and think how others must see situations (and of course I ALWAYS see others thinking the worst case scenario!).

    ReplyDelete
  4. On a completely different note, love the graphics you use.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! But, I take zero credit for them. I google search "free x clip art" and that's where I get it from. =)

      Delete
  5. I really support what you're doing, TrayceeBee. As hard as it's been financially since 8/14,we still let our kids have birthday parties this year. They were our traditional party at home, with mama cooked food, homemade birthday cake, ice cream sundae bar, etc. Both DH and I are having pretty serious medical issues right now (I'm 10 days out from major surgery and have had 3 additional procedures with a 4th scheduled tomorrow) and DH has been in the hospital since Friday morning. He's scheduled for an unexpected surgery tomorrow. I had only spent about $70 each on Xmas gifts for our children, but I just decided to say to heck with it and purchase them each an inexpensive electronic item. I want them to enjoy our here and now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so sorry you and your husband are going through so many health issues! It is so scary when that happens - I know from experience. You will be in my thoughts as you undergo this fourth procedure - hoping all goes well!
      Thanks for your support! It is a such a fine balance between saving for the future and enjoying the "here and now" isn't it? Especially when there are kids involved!
      Please stop by my blog when you can so I know that all went well with you and your husband's procedures! (((Hugs)))

      Delete
  6. I think traditions are wonderful. Sometimes you just need "normal" in your life. My dad passed away a few months ago and I'm clinging to my traditions to keep my sanity. It's also been a challenging 3 months since my husband is self employed and the $ coming in has almost come to a halt. Thank goodness for a deep pantry. I am identifying ways to get through next winter since this seems to happen every year so that has been a good eye opening experience.

    With kids you really need to stay with the traditions and help them feel like everything is okay - and it's fun too! Don't worry about other people and what they think. We each must do what is best for us and our family. Take care.
    P.S. I enjoy your blog very much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your kind words Crystal!
      I think it's great that you are able to identify that this seems to be the lean time of year and will ready yourself for this time next year! Having that deep pantry helps right now I'm sure!
      I am very sorry to hear of the passing of your dad. It's one of the hardest things in the world to deal with - especially when the holidays come around. Definitely keep any traditions you had with him going! I lost my grandmother many many years ago when I was thirteen. We were extremely close (she was more like my mom than grandma). Anyway, a few years ago I began making a traditional side dish she would always make on Thanksgiving. I didn't have a recipe but through some trial & error and my spotty memory I was able to recreate her dish. It makes me feel good to make it now and feel like a piece of her is still with me.
      Hope you enjoy the holidays!

      Delete