Tuesday, December 15, 2015

Tuesday's Random Thoughts...



Here's a little of what's on my mind this Tuesday morning....

*How Quiet The House Is...
right now!  It's almost 8:30 in the morning and it's only me and the animals home!  That hasn't happened since 11/11!!!  Consequently I am hoping to....

*Get a TON of Stuff Done...
around the house today!  It always seems a LOT easier to get things done when I am the only one here!  Haha!

*Papa's Interview...
will be starting in about 30 minutes from now.  He looked so handsome in his suit when he left this morning.  He isn't the type to get nervous but we all wished him luck before he left anyway!  I am still amazed by the sheer length of the interviewing process!  He is meeting with FIVE people over the course of  three and a half hours!

*Christmas Shopping...
I need to get back online and see if I can purchase some more things from home rather than braving the crowds more than absolutely necessary!  Everyone in the house has at least "something" besides the dog (she has a stocking we fill too!).  While no one is here, I should go through the stocking stuffer type things I bought last Friday to see where I stand/what I am missing.

*Dinner Menus...
While I have been slacking with officially making them up, we have been eating (mostly) what is in the house right now.  In previous years we have "fallen off the wagon" and purchased a LOT of takeout - so far this year that hasn't happened!  Yay!
Also, Papa wants to have his mom and elderly aunt come to our house for dinner (possibly Thursday!).  Both women are having some difficulties with family members moving into/invading their homes/space and could use a quiet evening out.  (Not that our house is exactly quiet but it's all relative, trust me!)  In the past, we have had them here for dinner and to see some (free) Christmas lights at a park in the next town over.  That would be the plan again this year.  While extra work for me, I don't mind at all because I want the Guppies to spend a little time with Papa's mom here.  When we visit her at her house, there is just too much craziness for them to spend any quality time together.

*Oil Prices...
We don't do the whole "lock in your price" with any oil companies.  However, there is a company here in town with very competitive pricing (because he will only deliver to this town since his company is located here).  Last week (pre-severance check) I was frustrated because oil prices had gone down to $1.62/gallon and we couldn't get any!  Well, I checked yesterday and prices were down another dime!  Since we were down to 1/4 tank, I had them come out and fill us up.  I can't remember the last time I spent only $280 to fill the oil tank!  In past years, I would only buy 150 gallons at a time which would cost anywhere between $450 to $600 a pop!  The decrease in price yesterday was perfect timing!

*The Strange Weather...
I am probably in the minority here but I WANT the cold weather!!!  I live in the Northeast for a reason people!  LOL  These 50 to 60 degree days (while great on the oil prices/usage) have been bumming me out a little...Because Christmastime is supposed to be COLD!!!  I know I am going to sound bonkers, but having it feel like it's Spring outside takes away some of the "Christmas Spirit" for me.  Thank God for Pandora Christmas music I guess!  =)


Well, there is the mish mosh that is my brain this morning!

Have a nice Tuesday!





3 comments:

  1. Good luck to your husband and keep us posted! Keeping all my fingers and toes crossed for him.

    Great deal on the oil. Why don't you usually do the lock-in price thing? We don't need oil for heating down here (and I'm so happy about it!) so I'm not too familiar with the process but I would think that if you're going to need it every winter, it's one of the practices you should implement, no? Would you have to pay for it in advance?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Nathalie! Locking in your oil price is a gamble - it could go up or down. We haven't locked prices in many years but, from the little I remember, what your are locking in is a price cap and if it goes lower, you lose. No paying in advance (thankfully for those who use this!) I could be wrong (like I said many years since I have done it!) Also I believe there is a fee and you need to have your furnace serviced by that oil company. We have a guy we like who does it as a side job - he has always been able to service our furnace and fix it in a timely fashion when needed. Oh and the small Mom & Pop style company we currently use doesn't lock in prices anyway.
      Been thinking a LOT about you lately! Hope you are doing a bit better! =)

      Delete
  2. This is the first year we haven't locked in oil prices. I much prefer it to last year, when we started paying our oil bill in August 2014 and didn't finish until July 2015 because we were on the budget plan. Now, we just pay for either 100 gallons or a fill up, whatever we have the cash for, as we need it.

    ReplyDelete