Sunday, January 24, 2016

2016 Book Challenge Update



My first update of my challenge!  Let's see how I am doing....


2016 Reading Challenge

1.  A book published this year
2.  A book you should have read in school, but didn't
3.  A  book you have been meaning to read
4.  A book with an interesting cover
5.  A book you own but haven't read
6.  A book that received bad reviews
7.  A book with water on the cover
8.  A book in a genre you have never read
9.  A favorite book from your childhood
10.  A book by an author you have never read before
11.  A book that deals with an issue close to your heart
12.  A book "everyone" has read but you
13.  A book about the decade you were born in
14.  A book based on a true story
15.  A book set in the summer
16.  A book set in a country you wish to visit
17.  A Young Adult best seller
18.  A book that's longer than 500 pages
19.  A book that makes you smarter
20.  A book you can finish in a day
21.  A NY Times best seller
22.  A book about a culture with which you are unfamiliar
23.  A book with an apocalyptic theme
24. A book set during Christmas time
25.  A funny book
26.  A book with a one word title
27.  A popular author's first book
28.  A cookbook
29.  A book by someone with the same first name as you
30.   A book of your choosing


Read:
#4.  A book with an interesting cover...
I am not sure you can get more "interesting" than the maniacal raccoon on the front of "Furiously Happy"!  Even though I read it before I started this challenge, I am counting it since it was read at the beginning of 2016!  And since I have already reviewed it in a separate post, I'm not going to re-review it.  =)


#11.  A book that deals with an issue close to your heart...
I finished an amazing book called The Fifth Floor by Julie Oleszek.  It is the story about Anna, the ninth child out of ten.  Anna is admitted to "the fifth floor" of a hospital after not eating for twenty two days straight.  Anna's story of why she stopped eating and all that happens while in the hospital is such a page turner that I finished this book in about two days. 
When I opened this book up, on my Kindle, all I remembered was that I got it for "free".  I had no idea what the story ultimately was about.  This book fits #11's criteria because Guppy 1 dealt with anorexia and depression from 7th through the first part of 9th grade.  We were almost at the point of admitting her to the hospital so, needless to say, this book shook me up a little.  Though fiction, it is such an accurate depiction of what CAN happen.  I highly recommend this book!!!

#20. A book you can finish in a day...
This "book" was on my Kindle as well.  (While I do love actually turning pages, I have accumulated a gazillion books on my Kindle and need to start reading some of them! LOL)  "The Glass Case" by Kristin Hannah is a very short story about a young mother contemplating her life/situation after a potential tragedy occurs.  While I adored "Firefly Lane" by her - seriously go RUN and get that book if you enjoy a good cry!!!, I was left underwhelmed by The Glass Case.  Maybe it was too short?  Too cliché?  I definitely cannot recommend this one. 

Three down and twenty seven more to go!  =)

4 comments:

  1. I think I will add Furiously Happy to my reading list. I've seen it at the library but not yet picked it up. One of the dangers of working at a library is that I borrow SO many books, way more than I can read, and then get depressed about finishing them. However, I did join a few reading challenges this year and have started actually writing down what I've read. And so far this month I've read (for the first time) seven books. And re-read a ton others. So that makes me feel a lot better. I think my pace and my poor organization makes me feel like I don't read very much. Keeping track reminds me that maybe there are other things I could get done if I wasn't reading so much!!

    Can I ask what challenge you are following? I love the categories.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. SEVEN NEW books?!?! AND you have re-read some...ALL IN JANUARY?!?!?! That is incredible! LOL
      I can't imagine working in a library...I would be bringing sooo many books home and probably browsing the racks instead of working! =)
      The challenge I am following is my own..It was a mish-mosh of challenges I saw on Pinterest and Good Reads. I wanted to add more than thirty but I figure if I "beat" this challenge, I'll just do another one for the second half of the year.
      I am such a slow reader - but, reading is one of my favorite things to do (besides writing) so I think I tend to savor the words. At least that is what I tell myself. Haha
      What challenges did you join?

      Delete
    2. I wondered if it was a mash-up because some of the items are verbatim what is on my challenges, but then others are completely different.

      I am (trying) to complete the PopSugar Reading Challenge, the Bustle Reads Challenge, Book Riot's Reading Challenge, Modern Mrs. Darcy's Reading Challenge, a Mount TBR Challenge (where you read down books you already own), and my own short story challenge. I know it sounds like a crazy amount of books, but no one challenge offered exactly what I was looking for AND I know that I will have a good deal of overlap within the lists. I'm not allowing myself to use a book for two categories within the same challenge list, but I am happy to have one book work in each of, say, four challenges if it meets the criteria.

      I read all the time. And fairly quickly. And I have a long commute to work so I listen to audio books about half the time. Plus, I don't have any kids, which I realize gives me a lot more reading time than most people. :)

      Delete
    3. Ah..the commute to work! LOL Before kids, I used to take the train to work and I remember I used to be able to tear through books then! Thanks for listing the challenges you are doing - I'm going to have to take another look and see if I can find some of them! I think I saw PopSugars already. =)

      Delete