Saturday, January 9, 2016

A Must Read Book!

This is NOT an endorsed post in any way, shape, or form!  It's completely my own opinon!   =)



I think that anyone who has been reading my blog for awhile knows that I am a fairly avid (albeit slow) reader.  I decided that this book would be my first for 2016 and, let me tell you, I started the year off right!

Jenny Lawson is an amazing writer.  Seriously, she can be poignant one second and hysterically funny the next!  As for the funny, ummmm...Look at the cover of her book above!  If you need more proof than that, her first book (which I highly recommend as well!) has a taxidermied mouse holding a mouse skull in its tiny paw - paying homage to Hamlet.

So, you can see from the onset that she is quirky!

But, here is the thing, if you suffer from depression, anxiety, or both, you will appreciate this book so very much!  Her candor and humor are simultaneously brave and refreshing.  She gets down to the heart of the issues she faces being "mentally ill".  If you aren't suffering from the same issues, you will understand those who do a LOT better.  If you are suffering, you feel like you have met a kindred spirit. 

She is like no other memoir writer I have ever read.  Her voice is unmistakable and most definitely "her own".

Seriously, grab it from the library if you can or, do like I did and buy it for your e-reader.  I promise you it's worth every penny.

Happy Reading!

3 comments:

  1. Hahaha, that's the book I just returned to the library after it sat on the couch next to me for close to 3 months. I love her blog and I loved her first book (have you read it?) but I couldn't get into this one so much. It just was too... I don't know, "frantic", in a way. I found myself skipping more things than actually reading them and it didn't help that I felt under the gun because it was due at the library and this time I couldn't renew it. I did laugh out loud a few times, especially at the story about the toilet in Japan. I showed it to Greg the night before I had to return the book and he laughed so hard.

    She's a very gifted writer. I think my own problems with concentrating on tasks lately played into my not being able to finish it, and also sometimes I feel juuuuust a little bit irritated by the unending list of her conditions. I know, I'm horrible and I'm no medical professional, but reading about her childhood, it sounds to me like she was very indulged in her own neuroses and was an attention seeker at some level, now taken to very unhealthy levels. So I have a mixture of sympathy, gratefulness (because I will forever remind myself that "depression lies") but also irritation. I just can't help it. I like her better in small doses (like blog posts).

    In other news, I'm not surprised, but depressed that you have already FINISHED a book while I have started one (The Bogleheads' Guide to Investing) but haven't gone past the foreword yet (but I took notes, does that count?!). My goals for today (now that I have reached my SB goal) are to read some of that book and post my 2016 goals. We'll see if I get to them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nathalie, I can totally "get" why you felt a bit annoyed/frustrated with the book and, yes, it was kind of frantic. There is something about all that I enjoy though. Plus, honestly,I do think she takes a bit of liberty with the pace/stories/conditions for pure effect. There are too many of us in my family that deal with depression/anxiety so it felt awesome to be able to laugh about it too!

      By the way, if MY reading pace depresses you, don't take a look at NOVA's reading totals for last year! Wow! I'm thinking she MUST be a speed reader (or, more likely, isn't the slug I am and doesn't sleep as much as I do! Haha!!)

      Delete
    2. I know, I asked Alison once how she works 3 part-time jobs, parent, manage her house AND read all those books and she says she doesn't sleep much!

      Delete