Monday, January 18, 2016

My 2016 Reading Challenge

 

To paraphrase something that Stephen King said....
In order to write better, you need to constantly read.  Read everything...Good and Bad. Just read.

This year, I have decided to do a reading challenge of my own creation.  I have gleaned ideas from a few different challenges (past and present) to come up with the following list.  Feel free to join me or you can always watch me (hopefully) succeed with completing this list!  =)



2016 Reading Challenge

1.  A book published this year
2.  A book you should have read in school, but didn't
3.  A  book you have been meaning to read
4.  A book with an interesting cover
5.  A book you own but haven't read
6.  A book that received bad reviews
7.  A book with water on the cover
8.  A book in a genre you have never read
9.  A favorite book from your childhood
10.  A book by an author you have never read before
11.  A book that deals with an issue close to your heart
12.  A book "everyone" has read but you
13.  A book about the decade you were born in
14.  A book based on a true story
15.  A book set in the summer
16.  A book set in a country you wish to visit
17.  A Young Adult best seller
18.  A book that's longer than 500 pages
19.  A book that makes you smarter
20.  A book you can finish in a day
21.  A NY Times best seller
22.  A book about a culture with which you are unfamiliar
23.  A book with an apocalyptic theme
24. A book set during Christmas time
25.  A funny book
26.  A book with a one word title
27.  A popular author's first book
28.  A cookbook
29.  A book by someone with the same first name as you
30.   A book of your choosing

I think a 30 book challenge should keep me busy enough!  Plus, I know there are books that I want to read this year that don't necessarily fit into any of the challenge criteria.

How about you?  Do you love to read?  Are you challenging yourself this year in any way with your reading?

Happy Sunday!

4 comments:

  1. I love to read, but find that if I am forced to read something that it takes away from the book. I am trying to read 52 books this year...but I also want to include one non-fiction book each month. That is proving to be a challenge already. I love getting lost in a good story and forgetting real life for a bit, but with the non-fiction I have to really think about what I am reading. It is a good challenge though. Good luck with your challenge!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used to HATE reading non fiction too! While still not my favorite genre, I discovered a little quirk that maybe can help you too...I started reading non fiction on my Kindle. It worked well for me since I was spending a lot of time looking at "screens" reading non fiction stuff anyway (articles, blogs, etc.)
      Anyway, I hope you check into my Book Challenge updates since maybe there will be a book or two that I review that you will be interested in checking out. =)
      Good luck with your challenge too!

      Delete
  2. I looked at some of the reading lists and decided against them but I am totally in for reading more then 100 books. I read a lot of non-fiction in past years but opted to read anything else in the last year but I am going to try to add a few non-fiction books back in this year. I can't wait to find out how you do!!! There are a ton of non-fiction books on saving money and other fun things that you might be interested in so you don't have read a bunch of boring books but hope you find some to meet each category!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Funny you mention frugal non fiction since that is how I began to get used to reading it! LOL Seriously I can read non fiction no problem as long as it is on a screen not an actual book. (so weird, I know!) The only exception to this rule is memoirs - again weird I know. =)
      I have an update ready to post on Sunday about my progress..Spoiler alert - I was able to knock THREE off it so far. LOL
      I am planning on reading more than twenty six but figured I would do this challenge in the midst of all my reading this year. =)

      Delete