Tuesday, March 22, 2016

Mending Fences




This morning I am heading off to a local coffee shop to meet an old friend.  Our daughters are the same age, were close friends in kindergarten, and for the past two years have been part of the same tight group of friends.  We drifted apart six years ago for lots of reasons but it seems the "right time" to try to mend the fences.

She has a lot going on in her life without a lot of people to rely on.  The friends she chose in the past few years have all but deserted her and it makes me sad since I know that there are people I can rely on in my life....NO MATTER WHAT.

I genuinely like "C" and feel horrible about the past.  Six years ago, I became "friends" with a few women who cared too much about image and gossip....Papa called them "The Cackling Hens".  I fell into the group like a high schooler, feeling the thrill of belonging.  They didn't like "C", along with many other women in the town and did everything they could to poison me against her.  I took the bait and that's all on me.  I am ashamed of the person I was for that year or so that I was part of 'The Cackling Hen" crowd.  I woke up and severed all ties with these women about five years ago and, in doing so, became "me" again - not image conscious in the least and kind!

So, this morning will be about clearing the air of the past and trying to be a good listener for "C".  I feel like the least I could do is try to be the friend I should have been for all these years.  Friends are important as we all get older but good friends are worth their weight in gold.

Have a great Tuesday!


4 comments:

  1. This made me smile. I hope things turned out well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They did go well...Thanks! C really is a nice woman and it felt awesome to completely clear the air - finally! =)

      Delete
  2. I am having the problem trying to fit in with mom's at the new school so I totally know how that is. I am stepping back and taking time to be happy by myself. It is hard for me because I really like to talk to people but it seems to be getting me into more trouble then not trusting people who are going behind my back. I wish I was a more positive person who could just enjoy things but it is hard for me to do so. I am going to working towards that for the rest of the year :) Glad that you got to go back and right a wrong because it helped you feel better too!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So many women in my town have seemed so cut throat and, worse that that, push their families to portray the "perfect little family" cliché. I have watched too much of it for my taste! Stepping back is such a good idea! I find I am much happier now then when I was trying to fit in. (Thankfully I had enough brains to NOT put my family through the motions of trying to pretend to be perfect!) My friend and I sat at the coffee shop for well over two hours and all is well again. In the end I wonder if saying that I was so sorry helped me more than it did her since I do feel the weight lifted off my shoulders! And, the girls got to see me fix this (even though I have had MANY conversations about what happened/how Mom was wrong).

      Delete