Tuesday, March 1, 2016

Washing Machine Woes




Our washing machine has been going for a few months now.  Sometimes it will "spin out" the clothes and sometimes it won't.  In the past, I had trouble with only larger loads or heavy ones (like towels) but now I am having trouble with ALL loads!

This machine is on the older side - we are guessing around ten plus.  Is it time to run out, bite the bullet, and buy a new one?  Not so fast....

Since there is no standing water left in the barrel when the clothes are done cycling and they are just sopping wet, our current guess is that a belt broke inside the machine. (For the first time EVER, I am going to say that I am very happy to have an old top loader without a fancy electronic control panel!!)

This weekend, Papa will take apart the washer and take a looksee inside.  With the plethora of YouTube videos in existence now, he *should* be able to fix it if it's a simple belt change.  If we end up needing to purchase parts and have to wait for them to be delivered, I have a backup plan.  My parents will let us do laundry at their house until ours is fixed.  Yes, it will be a pain to drag the clothes thirty minutes away and wait there while they wash and dry (when I can be home doing other things!).  But, I am grateful that I have a place to do it and we won't have to pay laundermat charges!

If the washer can NOT be fixed, well...then we will have to put our heads together and think about a solution.

Such is life.  Things break. We try to fix them first.


4 comments:

  1. Good luck with your repair....I hope it works out in your favor! Just as an FYI, there is a Sears Scratch & Dent / last year's model store in Newington CT. They have top loaders of all sorts there

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Good to know in case we cannot fix this one! And, truthfully, it is a washing machine that sits in my basement...Who cares if it is scratched or dented? I just want it to WORK!!! =)

      Delete
  2. Hope you are able to fix it. That is how we have pretty much always fixed our washer and dryer. DH googles/You Tubes the problem and takes care of it himself. A good place to order the part(s) is ReliableParts.com.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you and thanks for the website tip!!!

      Delete