Wednesday, April 6, 2016

No More Postponing....



Guppy 1 turned 17 in January - And, as I am reminded almost daily, a full year overdue on getting her learner's permit!  LOL

We almost scheduled a test for her last fall but then Papa lost his job.  Quite frankly, I have been putting it off - mostly due to expenses.

But, I really can't put it off any longer.

So, I scheduled a test for her learner's permit - but had to wait until the middle of May to get on the schedule!  The test and permit costs total $59 - which I had to pay to secure her date/time.  I told her that she has this ONE chance from us to pass since if she fails, the test fee has to be paid for again.  If she doesn't pass, she pays for the subsequent testing herself.  Trust me - she WILL study her butt off to keep her money in her account!  =)

I cannot believe how much things have changed since I got my driver's license!  There wasn't any test/fees to get a permit - I remember that!  There are so many more hoops to jump through now even  for us parents - at least it seems like it!

Over the course of the next few weeks, we will be looking into driving schools for G1 because, apparently, IF you complete a course through a school, you can test for the actual driver's license in four months instead of six.  Again, I don't think this was a requisite for a license back in the day.

What I DO know WILL happen is our insurance is going to probably triple once she has that little laminated card in her hand!  Once I have the actual dollar figure, I will decide if/how much she will have to help pay - taking into account that her current job is only during school months.

Has anyone out there gone through this recently? Any advice?

Thanks!



9 comments:

  1. I remember we had to pay for DD to study with a school.....I had to take two hours off work and pay $100 For ME to take a class too. That was a waste of my time and money in my opinion.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I did hear that WE would have to go to class too. Totally agreed it's a waste of money and time.
      Then again, I am also in the minority about a LOT of the changes that CT has made in regards to teen/new drivers. While I realize some of the new rules could in fact save lives, some of them are just inconvenient and ridiculous! (The parents having to take a class is at the top of that list btw!)

      Delete
  2. My youngest brother just turned 16 and is in the process of getting his driver's license. Here in Ohio, you can get your learners permit at 15.5 by going to the BMV and taking a written and vision test. Before you can get your full blown license you have to have your learner's permit for 6 months, you have to complete a driver education class at a licensed driver training school, which includes 24 hours of classroom or online instruction and 8 hours of driving time. And Driver must complete 50 hours of driving, with at least 10 hours of night driving, in addition to the driver education requirements. And then once you have your license there are a bunch of restrictions on night driving before you turn 18. Not sure about the money part, but I think it was $30 for the learner's permit. It was $300 I think for the driver's classes. Not sure what it will cost for him to take his actual test for his license. He has to get better on manueverability first! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. From what I am gathering so far in Connecticut, it sounds a lot like Ohio. I know from my nephew's experience that you aren't allowed to have anyone in the car with you for I want to say a year? I can't remember exactly.
      It would have been easier to just make her wait until she was 18 to get it done. No classes for me to take, no restrictions with passengers (I don't think).
      However, we are sucking it up now because it's important for her to feel more in control of her life. We are hoping that she will be motivated to get out and explore a little more.

      Delete
  3. In NC, your insurance only goes up once they have their actual drivers license, not permit. And I have two that will be getting their licenses in the next few months. I've heard premiums will be 2-4 times higher!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think insurance will go up until she has the actual driver's license here...but that's something that I should check too! Fingers crossed that learners permits don't count!

      Delete
  4. My DD is 20 now, but she was able to get her learner's permit at 15, then had to take an approved course (that cost $500 around here) and was able to get her license at 16. It really didn't up our insurance that much to add her - the majority of the cost was because we added her car to our policy. A few more months and she will go on her own insurance :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are very lucky to have not taken a hit insurance wise! That has always been the case here in CT - I know that my parents' insurance went up a LOT when my brother and I started to drive.

      Delete
  5. I know that when we were kids, girls are lower to add then boys because they think that they are less of a risk. I hit everything so I am not sure on the logic but crossing my fingers that the insurance isn't crazy high and wishing luck to pass the first time!!!

    ReplyDelete