Monday, July 4, 2016

Picnic & Fireworks Tonight!


While I am not crazy about the overall community in my town, there is one very big exception:  The Fourth of July!  A local farm has a very large picnic for its employees but then puts on a large fireworks display that the community is invited to watch.  There are many industrial/office buildings in the area that allow people to park in their lots and picnic/view the fireworks from their lawns.

Sadly we missed last year's display because we were at a relative's wedding.  Tonight we make up for it!  LOL

Papa and I are both driving because (we think) we are taking a LOT of the Guppies friends with us!  We are also going fairly early to have a picnic first.

When I went shopping for supplies for the picnic, I had no clue who was coming or how many kiddos we were feeding....It's 1:30 and I still don't have a complete head count!  Here's what I decided to make:

1 large French baguette will be turned into a turkey & cheese sub style sandwich.  Condiments will be on the side and I can cut the baguette into pieces at the picnic - making slices as large or small as needed to accommodate.
Another large French baguette will be cut in half and turned into two different types of vegetarian style sandwiches (G1's BFF is definitely coming and is vegetarian).  One half will be tomato, mozzarella, fresh basil, and a drizzle of balsamic.  The other will be roasted summer squash, mushroom, onions, and cheese.
Leftover water from our Vermont vacation will be brought along with three different types of soda from cases already opened.
Snacks will include  two bags of Pizza Goldfish, chips and salsa, and one bag of potato chips.
Desserts will be peanut butter chocolate chip cookies (no allergies for any of the kids that may come), chocolate pretzel bark, and Nutella sugar cookie cups.
Also, an ice cream truck stays in the parking lot so if the kids choose to go that route, they can - using their own money of course.

Given all the unknowns, I think I did pretty well!  I spent less that $40 for everything for tonight (I'll do a full recap of the grocery receipt tomorrow) and no one should go hungry.

Hope you all have a wonderful fourth of July!



No comments:

Post a Comment