Friday, July 29, 2016

Reading Challenge: What I Read in July



2016 Reading Challenge

1.  A book published this year
2.  A book you should have read in school, but didn't
3.  A  book you have been meaning to read
4.  A book with an interesting cover
5.  A book you own but haven't read
6.  A book that received bad reviews
7.  A book with water on the cover
8.  A book in a genre you have never read
9.  A favorite book from your childhood
10.  A book by an author you have never read before
11.  A book that deals with an issue close to your heart
12.  A book "everyone" has read but you
13.  A book about the decade you were born in
14.  A book based on a true story
15.  A book set in the summer
16.  A book set in a country you wish to visit
17.  A Young Adult best seller
18.  A book that's longer than 500 pages
19.  A book that makes you smarter
20.  A book you can finish in a day
21.  A NY Times best seller
22.  A book about a culture with which you are unfamiliar
23.  A book with an apocalyptic theme
24. A book set during Christmas time
25.  A funny book
26.  A book with a one word title
27.  A popular author's first book
28.  A cookbook
29.  A book by someone with the same first name as you
30.   A book of your choosing


Well, July was a very slow reading month for me!  I'm not sure what is was....the weather?  Running around a lot more?  Whatever it was, I just didn't get much accomplished in the way of reading and  wasn't able to cross anything off my challenge for this month!  Here's what I did read though:


The Remedy for Love by Bill Roorbach
Separated, small town lawyer, Eric, is standing behind a very strange woman in the grocery store one snowy evening.   She looks homeless and is short on money to pay for her order.  Eric feels aggravated yet sorry for her and pays the balance.  While walking out to his car with his groceries, he sees this woman struggling and limping...clearly walking to wherever she came from.  Eric offers her a ride and find she lives in a summer cabin in the woods.  He feels compelled to help her bring her groceries down the path to her cabin and gets snowed in.  Thus begins the story of Eric and "Danielle" - each coming to terms with disappointment, loneliness, and whether giving love a second chance is worth it. 
I really wanted to like this book!  It wasn't your typical tawdry romance book (there was a light sorta sex scene but no "she gripped his rock hard shaft" kinda crap).  I can't say exactly why I didn't enjoy the story completely.  Part of it was distraction on my part with everything I was attempting to do besides read!  And, I think partly, the author didn't balance his details well.  He went overkill on the snow trapping them in.  Yet, when they finally DID manage to escape the cabin, there wasn't nearly ENOUGH detail about their hike to safety.  Also, I found the personality of Danielle to be a bit over the top and not believable....unless she was mentally ill.  In the grand scheme of things, I am going to give it the benefit of the doubt and think that maybe it was just the wrong book for me to read at the time I read it.  I'll give it a 3 out of 5 stars.



The Memory Box by Eva Lesko Natiello
This is the story of Caroline...Suburban, married,  stay at home mom to two little girls who lives in a town where all the moms' favorite pastime is getting gossip and "dirt" on each other.  One day Caroline decides to "google" herself (both married and maiden names) and opens up a Pandora's box of events of which she has no recollection...including her twin sister's death and a botched abortion/hysterectomy.  Can she find a way to fit the missing pieces of the puzzle back together AND keep her life intact?
I have to be honest and say I almost gave up on this book.  The "clues" were too easy to piece together...or so I thought!  This book is well worth the quick read and has a very surprising twist at the end!  I have to give this book five out of five stars!


Hopefully I will be able to get more reading accomplished over the next few months! And I have to focus on finding books to fit the above criteria so I can finish this challenge!

Anyone read any good books this month?  Any suggestions on books that can fulfill what's left on my challenge?

Happy Friday!

No comments:

Post a Comment