Tuesday, September 13, 2016

Preparing for the Habanero Invasion....



I didn't have much luck this summer with my gardening....Not that I usually have MUCH luck any summer!  LOL  But...

This year?

My four little habanero plants are now huuuuge and BURSTING with peppers in different stages of ripening!  Seriously I think this is the biggest crop we have ever had!  And, in past years, we haven't come close to using up our "crop"!

This year, I have decided to try to figure out ways to preserve some of these little buggers!

Here are some ideas that Google provided for me!  =)

1.  Pickling.  I immediately had to nix this idea.  I am leary of trying to can anything since I have never attempted it before!  I'm more of a hands on kind of person when it comes to this sort of thing and don't have anyone close by to demonstrate.  Plus, I don't have any canning supplies anyway. 

2.  Old fashioned drying.  This idea I WILL do for some of the peppers!  It's super easy.  After rinsing and drying, I either leave them out on a counter on a wire rack for a few weeks or, alternatively, I can string them together and hang them for the same amount of time.  I'm guessing that I can then process them with my food processor and make a "spice".

3.  Freezing.  Clean, dry, chop, and bag.  Easy peasy.  I will likely do some this way as well.

4.  Roasting.  I found a recipe that really intrigued me online that I want to try!  Here's a link in case anyone else has habaneros and is curious....Roasting Habanero Peppers  I really like the mixture you put on the peppers first in this recipe and am curious if/how much it tones down the intense heat of the peppers.

5.  Fresh salsa.  Of course it's easy to throw them into salsa too.  BUT, since I am not a fan of crazy hot food, a little would go a long way in salsa - which means I *may* be able to use half a pepper in the salsa.  Not the most frugal way of getting my most out of these babies.

I have to ask anyone out there...

Do you plant habaneros?  Do you know of any other good ways/recipes to use them up?

Happy Tuesday!


2 comments:

  1. Wow! That's an exciting harvest. I would go with the freezing myself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, would you like any? Next time we meet up, I'll save some for you! =)

      Delete