Thursday, October 27, 2016

2016 Reading Challenge: What I Read in October


2016 Reading Challenge

1.  A book published this year
2.  A book you should have read in school, but didn't
3.  A  book you have been meaning to read
4.  A book with an interesting cover
5.  A book you own but haven't read
6.  A book that received bad reviews
7.  A book with water on the cover
8.  A book in a genre you have never read
9.  A favorite book from your childhood
10.  A book by an author you have never read before
11.  A book that deals with an issue close to your heart
12.  A book "everyone" has read but you
13.  A book about the decade you were born in
14.  A book based on a true story
15.  A book set in the summer
16.  A book set in a country you wish to visit
17.  A Young Adult best seller
18.  A book that's longer than 500 pages
19.  A book that makes you smarter
20.  A book you can finish in a day
21.  A NY Times best seller
22.  A book about a culture with which you are unfamiliar
23.  A book with an apocalyptic theme
24. A book set during Christmas time
25.  A funny book
26.  A book with a one word title
27.  A popular author's first book
28.  A cookbook
29.  A book by someone with the same first name as you
30.   A book of your choosing


This month has been a very slow month, reading wise.  I'm not sure why this happened since my reading usually picks up in the Fall/Winter months.  I will probably be able to finish my challenge...if I apply myself in November!

Anyway, here is the ONE book I read this month....


7.  A book with water on the cover
Before The Fall by Noah Hawley

Late one evening, eleven people get on a private jet on Martha's Vineyard and are heading to New York City. There is a pilot, co-pilot, stewardess, a successful businessman and his wife, a media mogul and his wife and two young children plus a bodyguard, and a poor artist.  Just minutes into the trip, the plane plunges into the ocean for no apparent reason and no mayday calls.  The artist, Scott Burroughs, is surrounded by the dark sea and thinks he is the sole survivor.  Then he hears the cry of a small child.  Scott swims the ten plus miles to shore in the dark with a four year old on his back and is toted a hero.  But, as the true lives of the dead passengers are exposed, some of the news media and FBI begin to wonder if Scott Burroughs - the man who paints catastrophic events for living - is really a hero after all.  Did he sabotage the plane?  Or did someone else do it as revenge against one of the two successful but secretive men on board the plane that night?

So, this book was originally bought for Papa.  He and I tend to share a lot of our books but sometimes we don't have the same tastes.  I saw he was done with this book and it had the ocean on the cover - thus fulfilling #7's criteria.  I asked him if I would like it and he said he didn't know....Truthfully, I finished reading it and I don't know either!  LOL

I guess my overall feeling is "Meh".  Some of the books was good but a lot of it was extremely dry. Also much of the book felt very contrite/cliché to me.  However, kudos to the author's best character (and the saving grace of the book actually) "Bill Cunningham" -the not so secret jab at Bill O'Reilly and FOX News.  I cannot stand O'Reilly or Fox so these parts of the book were fairly entertaining to me.   

I'm giving it a 3 out of 5 stars. Maybe this is a better book than that but, since I am not all that big into mysteries to begin with, I am not all that qualified to decide I guess.

2 comments:

  1. Well thats one more book than I read for fun this month. Things have gotten so busy around here that I just haven't had time to read for fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. But you have an excuse Rachel! You are still catching up from your surgery I'm quite sure! By the way, I am so happy that you are feeling well and the surgery was a success!!!

      Delete