Tuesday, October 11, 2016

Goin' Granola....



I will NEVER pay for pricey pre-packaged granola in the grocery store ever again!  Making it at home is so super easy!  Plus you are only limited by your imagination (and what's in your pantry)! 

Here is my basic (fool proof!) granola recipe:

3 cups plain oats  ( I used quick oats the last time and didn't notice any difference)
1 1/2 to 2 cups total of mix ins  (examples: shredded coconut, walnuts, sunflower seeds, dried cranberries, dried blueberries)
1/2 cup  maple syrup (if using pure maple and you like clumpier granola, add 2 T of honey as well)
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/2 t salt
1/4 cup vegetable oil

1.  Combine oats and mix in ingredients in bowl.
2.  Combine maple syrup, honey (if using sugar, salt, and oil in another bowl.
3.  Pour maple mixture onto the oats and mix together to fully incorporate.
4.  Bake at 300 degrees for approximately 45 minutes, stirring occasionally so the granola doesn't stick to the pan.
5.  Store in a sealed container.  It should keep up to two weeks.


This past Sunday I made more granola using:
1/2 cup dried cranberries
1/4 cup walnuts
1/2 cup sunflower kernels
1/4 cup pumpkin seeds

So easy, yummy, and cheap!



3 comments:

  1. I love homemade granola! Your recipe is very similar to mine, although I do use butter instead of vegetable oil. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I use coconut oil....seems crispier some how....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Both butter and coconut oil sound delicious! I'll have to try those for a change sometime!

    ReplyDelete