Tuesday, October 18, 2016

Potential Frugal Fail?



As I may have mentioned a few months ago, Papa needs to wear a suit everyday to his job.  We have come to a point where the suit jackets and pants should get to a dry cleaner!  So, last week I looked into the potential dry cleaning places nearby.  I chose one close to my house that was also one of the "environmentally friendly" ones that don't use the usual chemicals.  Price was maybe two dollars higher per suit than "normal" services in my area but the location was convenient.  We brought his first suit in to test the place out.  Service was fast and the suit looks awesome!  I'll be pulling a suit from his closet every Thursday for the next few weeks until all of them have seen the dry cleaners.

But....

I'm toying with an idea that could be a potential fail in frugality.

I'm considering giving myself a break from ironing and taking in his dress shirts to be laundered and pressed.

Just one time.

Shirts cost $2.45 each and I would bring in eight shirts.  So, the total cost for this luxury would be $19.60.

I have all kinds of reasons floating around in my head as to why I should do this:

I'm fighting a cold
I've been tired
I hate ironing and have been doing it (almost) consistently for about twenty years
My ironing skills are only marginal even after all this time
It would free up some time I desperately need for other things....

The list of "excuses" is a mile long.


So, this is my struggle.  Is this a "justified" one time expense?  Or is it more slippery slope mentality?

Do you iron at home or take your stuff to the dry cleaners?

8 comments:

  1. Sometimes you just have to weigh the value of your time and if your to do list is long and you are feeling stressed, pressured or ill it's worth it to catch up and catch a break. When I was a young girl I ironed for a family of 7 and made a little pocket $. The mom was a stay at home mom and it was worth it to her to have the ironing done up. This was back when we ironed everything. I say if you have the extra $ or can find it else where in the budget go for it this time. Then you can see if this might be something that actually "saves" you in the long run. If you are able to get things done at home that need doing that would be costing you $(if you didn't have time and needed to outsource them) like baking or cooking meals or doing your own cleaning it's worth it to catch up. That's just my opinion. I've known moms who stay at home who hire a teenager to watch their kids a few hours a week to catch up or to do things like help clean or do yard work. Just see how much your time cost is. If it takes you 3 hours to iron is it worth it in the grand scheme of things? Take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for weighing in Crystal. It's hard because I feel guilty spending money on something I could just do at home myself. You do bring up a good point about what I would do with the time I saved by not doing the ironing myself. I know exactly where that time would go (writing) which helps lessen the guilt a bit.

      Delete
  2. For many years TheHub was a "suit" and dressed the part everyday. Now he only dresses for meetings. About 15 or so years ago I decided there are things worth my time and there are things not worth it. Starching and ironing dress shirts is one of those things not worth my time. Though the cost is the same whether I take 1 shirt or a dozen to the cleaners, I tend to drop them off 2 at a time. The cleaners is at the intersection of the major road out of the neighborhood anyway, so I pass it every time I go anywhere. Mentally It is easier to pay 5 bucks each pickup than forking over a 20 for multiples.
    I say do what works best for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Anne! The more I think about it, I am leaning towards trying out the drycleaners one time and see what happens/how I feel about it. You bring up a good point about it being easier to fork over a lesser amount of cash for a few shirts at a time....I can see how it would help take the sting out of doing it! But, I think for me, it would be easier to just bulk them - mostly because, while the dry cleaners is in town, it isn't someplace I drive by every day.

      Delete
  3. My husband (or I) irons his dress shirts - extra starch. He thinks the dry cleaner breaks buttons and generally roughs up the shirt more than doing them at home.

    Any chance your girls would like to earn some pocket money? Offer them $1.50/shirt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Bobbie! Great idea about the girls but they don't know how to iron (need to put that on a list to show them how PRONTO! Truthfully, I wouldn't trust them with my husband's shirts anyway. We outfitted him with some new clothes when he first started this job because he hadn't really gotten anything new in almost ten years. We opted for quality over quantity so these shirts would hopefully last quite some time. I can see the scorch marks on them now if one of the girls attempted to iron them. LOL
      But, you brought up a good point about the dry cleaners messing the shirts up too.
      What a hard decision!

      Delete
  4. All of my husbands dress shirts go to the dry cleaners. He only wears 100% cotton shirts and they were impossible to iron. I gave up after 20 years of doing them 8 years ago and wish I had done it sooner!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cotton shirts are the WORST!! My husband has a few of them and I hate those the most for sure! I am leaning towards just trying the dry cleaners once and going from there but still can't completely commit yet!

      Delete