Tuesday, November 1, 2016

October Grocery Totals


So, this month I was finally able to keep my act together well enough to do a legitimate monthly grocery total!  Yay me!  Let's see how well I did....

October Farmer's Market Total:  $103.46
Because the farm market days have their own separate posts, I'm not going to relist everything I bought throughout the month.  However, I added up what I spent there to add to my month total.

October 8th  Big Y:  $4.38
1 package of Udon
1 large bottle of store brand peroxide

October 16th  CVS:  $7.01
1 2ltr bottle of Diet Coke
1 bottle of Aussie Instant Freeze hairspray

October 18th  Big Y:  $29.33
1 container of store brand ricotta cheese
1 canister of store brand whipped cream
1 (16 oz) package of mozz cheese
1 package of Jello chocolate pudding
1 box jumbo pasta shells
1 jar of store brand Dijon mustard
1 small jar of Hellman's mayo
2 Sparkling Ice Drinks (16 oz each)
2 Justin's almond butter/pretzel snack combo packs
6 lbs of onions

October 20th  Petco:  $38.97
1 4lbs bag of ferret food
1 500 cubic foot package of bedding
1 bag (48 oz) of timothy hay
Donation to animal shelter

October 21st  CVS:  $48.81
As previously posted:
4 large shower gels
Various makeup for me

October 22  Big Y:  $28.42
1/2 lb deli American cheese
1 loaf store brand white bread
1 box Cap'N Crunch cereal
2 Keurig style store brand hot chocolates
1 container (16oz) store made chicken noodle soup
5 limes
1 container fresh refrigerated salsa
2lbs sweet potatoes

October 24th  Big Y:  $31.43
1 Pillsbury cinnamon rolls
1 Pillsbury crescent rolls
1 bag of kindling for fireplace
2 boxes of frozen corn
1 jar store brand grape jelly
1 bag (2lbs) popcorn kernels
2 bags of English muffins
1 bag (5lbs) Yukon Gold potatoes

October 26th Stop & Shop:  $60.11
Sliced pound cake
2 bag of Thomas bagels (one onion & one raisin)
1 double pack of cream cheese
1 large bottle of Aunt Jemima's syrup
4 bags of goldfish crackers
1 box of crumb cake mix
1 box of cupcake liners
1 container of stew beef
1 pork roast
1 bag (5lbs) of Yukon Gold potatoes
1 container of blackberries
1 container of raspberries
2 containers of Pom seeds

October 27th:  Stop & Shop:  $25.50
1 Pillsbury Grands biscuits
1 bag (16oz) shredded cheddar
1 large container of sour cream
2 cans dark red kidney beans
2 cans diced tomatoes
1 small can of chiles
4 Sparkling Ice drinks
2 containers of Pom seeds
1 container sliced baby bella mushrooms
1.5 lbs of broccoli crowns

October 29th  Stop & Shop:  $138.12
1 loaf Tuscan bread
1 container sliced pound cake
1 loaf marbled rye bread
1 "stick" chocolate cookie dough
1 lb deli American cheese
1/3 lb Boars Head deli chipotle chicken breast
1/3 Boars Head deli London Broil
1/2 lb Boars Head deli Teryaki chicken breast
2 Red Baron frozen pizzas
1 (20 pack) diet Coke
2 Sparkling Ice drinks
1 (5lb) bag of sugar
1 (12 pack) Snapple
3 (32 oz) Gatorades
2 bags of Spicy Chili Doritos
3 packages of steaks
1 package of Perdue chicken nuggets
1 container of sliced white mushrooms
1 container of shitake mushrooms
1 bag (2lbs) red peppers
1 container of caramel dip
1 mixed bag lemons & limes


((((((drum roll please))))))

Total Spent on October Groceries:  $538.16*
*including pet supplies and things I normally don't purchase (makeup)

I'm fairly happy with this amount.  Of course there is always room for improvement.  I did notice that, once again, I slipped into my old pattern of going to the store almost every other day towards the end of the month.  This is definitely something I need to get and keep control over for November!  I haven't decided on a budget amount yet for the coming month since I anticipate a LOT of sales on baking supplies.  Also it looks like I need to change my dog's brand of food as she is developing an allergic reaction to it.  There may be some trial and error involved with finding a new food so I am going to need to budget a cushion there in case we need to try multiple brands.

So, how did you October grocery budget go?

What are you doing different for November?

5 comments:

  1. You did great! I went over budget by 40 cents. 😄

    ReplyDelete
  2. You did very well! :)
    I haven't totaled my month up but I am pretty sure I went over budget this last month. I have been taking advantage of sales and stocking up on things I know we will use when I see them at a good price. I've also been doing a lot of extra cooking and baking this last month for some of my husband's coworkers. Several of them are working on the road away from their families and they have been putting in extra long hours for several weeks and I feel for them having to go back to their apartment each night and put a meal together for themselves, so I've been trying to do things here and there for them to make things easier.
    This coming month I will probably continue cooking and baking for his coworkers here and there, plus get stuff for the holidays, plus stock up if I find good deals. As much as I try to keep myself in line I may go over budget, but sometimes that happens.
    I find, like you said, that I end up spending a lot more when I go to the store more often. I have been strict with myself about only going once a week or every other week if I can hold out. But that's easy to do for me cause the store I go to is a 35 minute drive and I don't feel like dragging myself there all the time. ;)
    Hope you're having a nice week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dawn, if there was ever a valid reason to go "over budget" than you definitely have it! What a wonderful thing you are doing by providing your husband's coworkers with some comforts from home! I can tell you from experience that when my husband was away in California for two full weeks (a few years ago at the old job), he was completely sick of eating every single meal out. I'm sure the coworkers appreciate it more than you will ever know! Take care! And have a nice week too! =)

      Delete
  3. woo hoo!! Sounds like a great month. Pet supplies are so expensive so I know that is a hard line item to budget. I saw your post and decided to start adding up my totals. It isn't pretty!!! UGH! Here is hoping that all the math isn't as bad I think it is so far for the year :)

    ReplyDelete