Wednesday, November 23, 2016

Thanksgiving Menu



I am going to say Happy Thanksgiving a day early because I KNOW I'll be running around like a turkey with my head cut off tomorrow! 

So, Happy Thanksgiving!  =)

I don't know how I will feel in a few years but currently I'm over the whole "two Thanksgiving dinner" thing. Actually in truth, I worry that I will be more resentful than wistful in years to come because so much time was taken away from the good stuff our family should have been doing.  Our first dinner with Papa's family is never enjoyable and I'm quite sure this year will be no different - and possibly worse due to the election results and some other things family members have been saying about us behind our backs.  Plus the Guppies are rebelling like nobody's business...my usual easy going Guppy 2 is already saying that we aren't going down for Christmas.  I know this sounds harsh but, put yourself in a Jerry Springer episode and that is my husband's family.  (I have NO idea where Papa came from since he is NOTHING like them.)

Okay, enough bitching!  LOL

Papa and I always to try to really do up Thanksgiving here and the Guppies always look forward to our dinner.  This year, it will be us, my parents, and most likely Guppy 1's new boyfriend.

Here's our menu:

Stuffed Mushrooms
Alton Brown's Good Eats Turkey
Homemade Cranberry Sauce
Mashed Potatoes
Chipotle Mashed Sweet Potatoes
Corn Bread Dressing
Old Fashioned Stuffing
Hungarian Dumplings with Onions
Green Beans with Garlic
Honey Roasted Carrots
Corn
Crescent Rolls

All the following desserts are/will be homemade:
Apple Pie
Pumpkin Pie
Chocolate Mousse Pie
Chocolate Mousse Cake
Peanut Butter Blossom Cookies
Russian Teacakes
Church Windows



I'm hopeful that we will have enough leftovers to last us through the weekend! 


Happy Thanksgiving-Eve!





2 comments:

  1. We lived 30 miles from my in laws and in the same town as my parents for part of the time my kids were growing up. Sometimes had Christmas breakfast with my parents but we stopped the whole running to everyone's house to eat 2 times or fighting over holidays. We would get together a few weeks ahead of time or after the holiday for a meal (not a crazy big meal, just a nice meal) and had holidays at our house from the time my kids were about 5 and 7. Reduced stress for us and the family was welcome to come to our celebration. Made for more relaxed happy holidays and the kids weren't so stressed not to mention the stress we were under to "pick a side" or run to both to make everyone happy.
    Take care and Happy Thanksgiving.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the "pick a side" is awful and exactly what I deal with too! No one is happy seeing us for only one of the two holidays. Hope you had a wonderful Thanksgiving!

      Delete