Monday, January 2, 2017

2016 Reading Challenge Recap

Before the year recap, let's see what, if any, reading was done in December!

2016 Reading Challenge

1.  A book published this year
2.  A book you should have read in school, but didn't
3.  A  book you have been meaning to read
4.  A book with an interesting cover
5.  A book you own but haven't read
6.  A book that received bad reviews
7.  A book with water on the cover
8.  A book in a genre you have never read
9.  A favorite book from your childhood
10.  A book by an author you have never read before
11.  A book that deals with an issue close to your heart
12.  A book "everyone" has read but you
13.  A book about the decade you were born in
14.  A book based on a true story
15.  A book set in the summer
16.  A book set in a country you wish to visit
17.  A Young Adult best seller
18.  A book that's longer than 500 pages
19.  A book that makes you smarter
20.  A book you can finish in a day
21.  A NY Times best seller
22.  A book about a culture with which you are unfamiliar
23.  A book with an apocalyptic theme
24. A book set during Christmas time
25.  A funny book
26.  A book with a one word title
27.  A popular author's first book
28.  A cookbook
29.  A book by someone with the same first name as you
30.   A book of your choosing


24. A book set during Christmas time
Let It Snow! by John Greene, Lauren Myracle, and Maureen Johnson
Papa & I read this book to each other aloud - taking turns with  each story.  These three stories are intertwined about what happens to a few groups of teenagers who get stuck in an epic snowstorm.  While each story has it's own specific cast of characters, some overlap and in the end all come together in a cute little Christmas bow.  It's a Young Adult book that is full of love and spirit.  This is the second or third year we have read it during December and is definitely an ongoing "tradition".  Four out of five stars.

25.  A funny book
Jacob Marley's Christmas Carol by Tom Mula
Have you ever wondered what the backstory of Jacob Marley was?  Did Jacob Marley ever find peace and redemption? Well, author Tom Mula can fill in the blanks for you in this book!  It's a stretch to consider this criteria for #25 but it actually is quite comical and well written.  Another book we read yearly here.  Four out of five stars.



End of Year Recap
Well, as you can obviously see, I didn't quite finish my reading challenge.  But, I am completely okay with this!  I found the time to read 40 books last year - as my GoodReads (completed!) reading challenge tells me.  I expanded my horizons and even tried a couple of new genres.
I am calling this (mostly) successful.
I'm not sure what my plans are yet for this year.  I haven't decided if I am going to attempt another challenge or just read "x" number of books.
Either way, you can bet on me doing a LOT of reading for 2017.

No comments:

Post a Comment