Monday, January 30, 2017

Crockpot Confessional...




In yesterday's post I shared with you that I was going to make chicken soup in my crockpot.

And, I did.

But, guess what?  It was inedible!

The chicken was rubbery and the broth virtually tasteless.

The dog is going to be a very happy puppy this week since I diced up the chicken and added it to the rice treat I made her yesterday!  LOL

The rest of the "soup" sadly went down the drain.

Am I the only person in the world that has trouble with the crockpot?

It seems like it would be so easy.  Put a bunch of stuff in, turn the sucker on, and have deliciousness waiting for you at dinner....

Yeah not so much for me!

I have a very small list of things I can make rather successfully in it....

Chili
Beef Stew
Pot Roast
Poultry Stock

That's it!  FOUR THINGS!

I follow the instructions.

I make sure not to over or under fill the crock.

My crockpot is even "dummy proof" and will switch itself off to warm when the cooking time is up.

Why can I cook on the stove and in the oven but not in the easiest appliance ever?!?!

Does anyone have any tips/tricks that can help?

Does anyone else share in my absolute inability to master something so simple?

Happy Monday!

P.S.  My family didn't starve last night as I had the ingredients on hand to whip up baked ziti with bread.  LOL


10 comments:

  1. What's the chicken already cooked, and then frozen? If I'm using frozen precooked chicken I put it in frozen. I've never had it become rubbery. Was this broth that you yourself had made previously and also frozen?. I'm perplexed. This will be one of our lunchtime discussions LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The chicken was raw VERY THICK and frozen boneless skinless chicken breast. The broth wasn't homemade but from a carton with a bit of extra water added to top it off. And, yes! This will be one of our discussions because I can't believe how hard I find this appliance to be at times! LOL

      Delete
  2. I have little trouble with the crockpot, but I tend to cook everything on low. Generally bone in chicken cooks better (moister) than boneless when slow cooking. The bone also adds a little more complex flavor to the broth

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Last night I tried to cook it on the "high" four hour setting...wonder if that was part of the issue besides being boneless and skinless. I don't know what the heck happened!

      Delete
  3. Maybe something was wrong with the chicken.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Possibly but the chicken was bought and frozen only within the last three weeks. Very frustrating! But, my dog was thrilled! LOL

      Delete
  4. I never have luck with boneless skinless breasts lately....no matter how I cook them. For soup I use thighs boneless skinless ones and throw a couple drumsticks the ones with skin on. Loads of herbs, Carrots and celery dried onion flakesand some water...then a couple boullion cubes cook on low for 6-8 hours fish out the meat - strip the bones & cartiledgey bits. A chef friend said you have to use bones to get good flavor - not 100% sure that's true but it hasn't failed me yet. I find that dark meat /legs hold up better in the crockpot. Leave out the onion if you think it could turn into pup chow though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the recipe! And yes, I have heard that bones are better too but I used what I had...and we see how "well" that worked out! haha!
      Onion is definitely not good for the dog! I rinsed off the salvaged breast before cubing it for her and, thankfully, I only used about 1/2 a small onion in the whole crockpot!

      Delete
  5. I am so glad I stumbled on your blog and read the comment about the inedible soup made in the crockpot. I made beef barley in my crockpot this week, and while it is edible, it tastes watery. I usually make soup on the stove top and it is always wonderful. Now I know that I am not the only one who had a soup failure because of the crockpot. I won't be making soup this way again. Chili, yes...soup no.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you are here Ellie! That's me too! I can master most stove recipes but have such trouble with the crock pot!!!

      Delete