Tuesday, January 3, 2017

Project Me 365: 2473 Miles



When it came to exercise for 2017, I wanted a fun (and challenging!) way to track my walking/hiking/maybe running distances.  Logging in miles with no destination (even if it isn't real) isn't enough for me because it would leave me focusing more on the daily minutia rather than the overall yearly picture.

So, I came up with going 2473 miles total for 2017! 

Odd number, yes.  But it's a number that signifies something special to me....

It is the total distances of The Long Trail and The Appalachian Trail combined!  I would really love to hike both these trails eventually once the Guppies are out and settled so for now I will "hike" them virtually - even though actual terrain and conditions will be different.

Broken down, for me to hit my goal by midnight on December 31st, I need to average approximately 6.5 miles per day - which is a little less than double what we normally walk when taking the dog out. We also have a treadmill in our basement so, on bad weather days, I have a way to still get my mileage in.

I am going to be honest though....

In the beginning, I will not be averaging the 6.5 miles/day.  I plan on working up to it so as not to hurt myself/burn out too fast.  My goal for the next few weeks is to try to hit 4.5 to 5 miles per day and increase it from there.  After that, I will take it day by day.  Pushing the mileage number higher on days I feel really great.

This is a journey.  Not a race.

Tracking my miles via these hike distances reminds me of that.

The other challenge I had was how I was going to "log" my miles in my 365 notebook.  It's not the prettiest, because hey, I'm not the most artistic but here is a picture from January 1st...

In case you are wondering, yes I did a circle for each mile!  Like I said, definitely not the prettiest/neatest thing out there, but it gets the job done in a way that is easy to track (not to mention filling in circles is therapeutic for me! LOL).

How do you track your exercise goals and stay motivated?

11 comments:

  1. I love seeing how others track their goals. That is a very visual method and it should help you to feel inspired as you fill in your circles. I'm trying to keep things simple but varied. I have had a couple of injuries from repetative stress - the worst being "runner's knee" so here's what I do. On Tues., Wed., Thurs., and Fri. I play 2 hours of volleyball. The other 3 days I hike - I have counted how many steps I take walking 1km and it's 1500 steps. So I walk a minimum of 7km in order to walk 10,500 steps. If the weather is crap then I cycle for one hour on my stationary bike. So each day I have a fitness component. Volleyball ends May 1 which is ok because then I start hiking daily (or use my bike inside if it's raining. I also start using my bike for errands instead of driving. I think it's a mindset - finding a way each day to take some exercise and make it meaningful keeps it interesting. One winter I cycled from London, ON to Prince Edward Island. I had a map of Canada on the basement wall and used a pin to keep track of where I was on the map. It really helped me to keep going for a total of 1900km.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Whoa! You DO stay active! I know you do some long distance hiking (in real life) too right? If you are willing, I may need to pick your brain in the future since Papa and I are going to be trying it in a couple of years! =)

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I love it! That is an awesome goal and I love the way you are keeping track.

    I am also doing an exercise goal. I am aiming to exercise EVERY day of 2017. I am using stickers on our family wall calendar to mark the days that I hit my goal. It is centrally located in our kitchen, so anyone can ask me what the stickers are for and I want to be able to tell them I haven't missed a day! So far so good! Good luck on "walking" your trails!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love your stickers idea! That is something right up my alley too! Good luck! You got this!

      Delete
  4. My fitbit! It's the smallest one (the zip?) - keeps me accountable. I aim for a minimum of 10,000 steps a day, and have been known to walk up and down the street at 11:30 at night to get all my steps in...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wanted a fitbit! I still do but, instead of asking for one for Christmas, I am just going to save up and try to get one this year. And yep! That would be me too trying to get those steps in! =)

      Delete
  5. I love your low tech solution, but I am old fashioned and simple. I get some cheap thrill by merely crossing something off a list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOVE crossing stuff off lists! So satisfying!!!

      Delete
  6. That's a lot of miles! Love the goal and agree that you should take it easy in the beginning & build up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a TON of miles but I wanted to shoot for something that would be satisfying to finish too! =)

      Delete