Thursday, February 2, 2017

Books I Read In January




Even though I am not creating another reading challenge for myself this year, I am still going to read as much as I possibly can fit in!  At the end of each month I'll do a quick recap of what I have read.  Please share any good books you have read this month in the comments!  I'm always on the search for something new to read!


I'll Take You There by Wally Lamb
I was pretty excited to get this book for Christmas since I am a big Wally Lamb fan.  This is a book about Felix - a film scholar who runs a movie club on Monday nights in a renovated old theatre.  One day in the theatre alone, Felix is readying the reels for that night's movie and is confronted by the ghost of a woman director.  This ghost deems Felix "educable" and decides to show him his life on the big screen.  Should he decide he would like to re-enter his past, all he needs to do is go touch the screen and he will be back in time.  All the times/places he is being shown are to help him reflect on the women in his past who have greatly shaped his life.  Lois, the ghost director, is hoping that Felix will reflect on the inequality women have faced through the years.
I really wanted to love this book!  And, parts of it were really well thought out and written.  But, for the most part, I feel like this book went in too many different directions and touched on too many "big" topics to be completely successful.  If the book had been more concentrated on just a few key topics it would have been amazing.  Sadly I can only give this book a three out of five stars.


No Safety in Numbers by Dayna Lorentz
This is the first book in a Young Adult trilogy.  G2 read it and asked me if I would like to read this series with her.   When a strange device is discovered in the air ducts of a mall, the entire place is placed under quarantine - including a prominent senator and her family.  People are beginning to get sick and some are even dying while the government races to figure out what the airborne contagion is.  How long before the people quarantined demand specific answers, riot, or try to break out and spread the infection further into the population?  The author follows the lives of a four or five teenagers and the senator and  their journey navigating their way through this nightmare.
Of course I was going to read these books no matter what since G2 asked me!  I ended up enjoying this book quite a bit.  It definitely set the stage for the series and cannot be read alone because it leaves the story hanging!  Thankfully, it's an older series and all three books are written and readily available.  I think this book is a four out of five stars.


And, that's all the reading I was able to fit into January!  I'm hoping February will give me a little more time to read!

So, tell me...

Did you read any good books last month?  Anything you would recommend?


2 comments:

  1. You know I was going to read that Wally Lamb I'm wondering if I shouldn't bother. Your review disappointed me for both you and myself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It just had so much potential....if he had only picked one topic/path to focus more on. If you are going to read it, I say definitely borrow it from the library! I would say I'd lend you mine but it's heading to the used book store. LOL

      Delete