Wednesday, February 22, 2017

Changes In Cooking for the Next Month...



As I believe I mentioned previously, Papa is in the final push on a project at work.  He leaves for work by 7am and doesn't plan on getting home any evening for the next few weeks before 8 or 9pm....or later like last night when he got home at almost ONE AM!  There is a light at the end of the tunnel....but it's towards the end of March when the project should be more or less fully implemented.  Until then I need to get creative feeding all of us decent food at different times.  Plus, remember we have never replaced our dead microwave - nor do I plan to in the near future because I'm loving my extra counter space.

Papa doesn't like to get lunch at work often because it's very expensive....although I will join him for lunch once or twice in the upcoming weeks just so I can see my guy!  LOL  Besides that, it's brown bagging all the way baby!

Any favorite recipes or suggestions would be much appreciated!


Also, I need to probably fortify his lunchbox with more snacks as well to carry him through until he comes home for dinner.   With some days maybe even sending him with dinner!

Time to put on my thinking cap!


8 comments:

  1. I think crockpot meals are good for eating at different times because you can keep it on the "warm" setting for Papa after you and the Guppies eat. Most meals also are great the next day for lunch-does Papa have a microwave and/or fridge access at work?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jax! Yes, he does have access to both at work so that helps with lunches at least. I have crappy luck with the crock pot for some reason - I have no idea why. Food just doesn't come out great in it for me. But, I think I am going to have to try some new recipes in it!

      Delete
  2. I echo the crock pot. Also, stuff for salads. Nothing beats having a fresh salad when all the prep is done, and each of you can just assemble what you want, and with as much variety as you want.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sam, I am doing salads which seems to help a lot! Besides, easy assembly, salads stay refrigerated so there isn't any danger in something becoming overcooked and dry while in the oven on warm.

      Delete
  3. We are all on the same wave length - I was going to suggest crockpot meals as well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm going to look for new crockpot recipes this weekend! If I have any successes I'll be sure to post! =)

      Delete
  4. Years ago our microwave died I realized how much we actually used it and I was amazed because I really thought we could go without it...turned out I was wrong because I only lasted a few months. LOL!! Hope it works better for you :) It is so hard when people can't sit down for meals at the same time. I am all about having things in the fridge to heat up like soup, pancakes, waffles, tacos, and salsa sloppy joes. Hope you guys make it through this because it is hard not to have a back up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alison, I'm not going to lie...not having a microwave can be a real pain sometimes! Melting butter has become a challenge since I have to actually turn on the stove, grab a pan, and melt butter rather than putting butter in a cup and pushing a few buttons on the microwave. Besides the butter issue, we primarily used our microwave for warming food up. We could have bought a new microwave (and my parents offered to buy us one for Christmas) but I like having the additional counterspace in my rather smallish kitchen. Soup is definitely a great idea since that can easily be reheated on stovetop. Plus waffles can be rewarmed in the toaster. Thanks for the suggestions! =)

      Delete