Saturday, February 18, 2017

February's Groceries This Week



Just a quick reminder of where my grocery budget stands for February...

To help offset an expensive grocery bill in January, I am trying to stay at or below $300 for February.  What is included in my monthly budget?  Food, paper and cleaning products, and health/beauty items.  We are a family of four....Papa, Me, Guppy1 (18), and Guppy2 (14).  Plus we often will have an impromptu dinner guest or two thanks to the Guppies!  =)


Last week I spent $21.77.  That left me with a mere $125.86 left to spend to stay within the lower ($300) amount for which I was aiming.

Let's check how I did this week....

With the impending Sunday (2/12) storm, Papa and I did venture out to do some shopping on Saturday.  These trips (Wine Merchants & Whitneyville Food Center) are being counted for the coming week since that is when the groceries will be consumed.
Wine Merchants:  $14.86
bottle of Bourbon
This was definitely a "splurge" but needed for Papa to be able to make our ham next Sunday.  This bottle will probably last us until I make bourbon balls next Christmas!

Whitneyville Food Center:  $27.24*
*includes $4 in glass bottle deposits
1 quart of whole milk
1 pint of heavy cream
1 bottle of soy sauce
1 pint of blueberry yogurt
1 lb of carrots
1 dozen jumbo eggs

Stop & Shop:  $10.35*
* so low due to bottle returns but NOT included is the $1 I will be getting back from Ibotta app
1 bag shredded parmesan
1/2 lb deli American cheese
1 quart beef stock
1 bag (2lbs) Jasmine rice
1 bag (2lbs) store brand popcorn
1 box store brand gingersnap cookies


Big Y:  $11.75
1 pint store brand heavy cream (wasn't sure I would have enough of "the good stuff" purchased above for a recipe I was making)
1 container (16 oz) store brand sour cream
1 large bottle of Xtra laundry detergent
1 lb Arborio rice


Big Y:  $92.70*
1 (5 pack) croissants
1 Tropicana OJ
2 blocks of Philly cream cheese
2 dozen large eggs
2 bags of Cabot shredded cheeses
1/2 lb deli American cheese
1 bundle firewood
1 bag Ore-Ida French fries
2 Friendly's individual sundaes
2 boxes Banquet sausage links
1 box store brand penne rigate
2 cans store brand chicken broth (out of homemade)
1 jar Newman's salsa
1 container chocolate sprinkles
1 bottle of Ken's dressing
2 cans of StarKist tuna
1 bag of Pepperidge Farms hamburger rolls
2 bags of Goldfish
2 loaves of Wonder Bread
2 bags of UTZ potato chips
3 bags of store brand bagels (different varieties)
4 Sparkling Ice drinks
1 lb of bacon
2 small sized packages of boneless skinless chicken breasts
1 store brand roasting chicken
4 lbs of ground beef
1 2lb bag of yellow onions
1 lb broccoli crowns
3 containers of fresh mushrooms
1 2lb box of Kiwi fruit
1 very large European cucumber
*yes I realize (even before adding up the numbers) this puts me over my $300 monthly mark.  I decided to take advantage of some buy 1/get one and buy 1/get 2 sales.  And, I had a 10% coupon for my overall purchase.  


Stop and Shop:  $23.80*
*11.50 on the ibotta app not included in this price:  $1.50 for Coke and $10 as new member bonus
3 12 packs of Coke products
2 Sparkling Ice drinks
1 roll store brand paper towels
1 bag of Dole baby spinach
1lb of strawberries
1 large pineapple
2 pints of blueberries


Farmer's Market:  $9
1 quart of milk
1 pint lemon yogurt
1 pint blueberry yogurt



Money spent this week on groceries:  $189.70 minus $12.50 in Ibotta rebates = $177.20

Total spent on February groceries so far:  $351.34

Over budget by:  $51.34

I have mixed feelings on the above numbers.

On the positive side...
This is a great number for me for the month!  If I spend no more than approximately $48, it's one of the lowest numbers I have had in a LONG time.  Also, there were some "deals" at the store that I really didn't want to pass up.  And, there hasn't been any true take out food this month until this week - as will be seen in my post tomorrow.  There is still a good amount of meal options left to finish out the month which I'm hoping will help stretch things further.

On the negative side...
The obvious one is that I am over my self imposed budget.  Another thing - which isn't completely negative socially but is for the budget - is that the Guppies have Monday and Tuesday off from school for their abbreviated February vacation.  This means I'm sure to have extra kids floating through the house....Truthfully though I can't complain too much about it since I like having kids in the house.

Where does this all leave me then?

I'll be digging deep to stay at the number I am at currently.

If anything does have to be purchased, I need to stay at/under $48 to at least stay at the $400 mark for this month.

In the past, I have been criticized for not being able to meet my goals/budget. 

I completely understand this.

But, I will continue on because "failing" is still better than not trying at all!

Have a great weekend everyone!

1 comment:

  1. I hate the getting good deals that runs you off the budget because you know that it is a good deal and you can't pass it up. I find that spreading the overage to the next month works just as well :) I am sure you will get it done next month with the little bit of money in your overage. Amazingly well done!!

    ReplyDelete