Thursday, February 9, 2017

Resurrecting an Oldie but Goodie....



Back when I started this blog I did a weekly post called "Gas & Garbage".

My reason for doing so was to stay accountable in how much gas we were using and how much garbage we generated weekly.

I originally stopped doing this post because it didn't seem to generate much interest.

But, for my own sake and accountability, I am resurrecting it.



Gas

Extra belt tightening is in progress right now and I think I can eek out some cash from my gas budget.  Moving forward for the month of February, I am aiming to keep the gas budget for MY car, at or below $100.  I just filled the tank on Monday evening for $31.15  which leaves me $68.85 for the rest of the month.  As of last night, after dropping G1 off to Ramsey's house (40 or so minutes away), I have a little under 3/4 of a tank left.  Seeing as I'm not going anywhere today - thank you snow!, I don't predict another fill up until the middle of next week.....Possibly longer!


Garbage

I have really "fallen off the wagon" when it comes to garbage.  Yes, I still have been recycling but I'm sure there is a LOT of room for improvement.  Back to being somewhat mindful of what I am sending to the landfill....especially considering how the current president doesn't seem to think much of the state of the environment.
This week, I sent 4 kitchen sized (13 gallon)  bags out to the curb. 
On a side note, the new garbage bags I bought from Dollar Tree are waaaay smaller than the ones I normally get.  They are still "kitchen sized" and say they are 13 gallon but, considering I can't even get them to fit around the lip of my garbage can, I am guessing something is off about the size.  I plan on using these up before I buy new ones but I made a note to never get this particular brand again!



Food Waste?
I'm also toying with the idea of bringing back my weekly food waste to this post.
What do you think?



Almost time to head back out to shovel again!





4 comments:

  1. I am so glad you posted this today. It reminds me that I want to make produce bags out of some old nylon to take to the store with me instead of using the plastic ones form the store.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have one sole produce bag that I bought from Whole Foods two years ago. I would love to know how you are making your produce bags! Of course I don't know how to sew so that could be an issue for me! LOL

      Delete
  2. I'm always inspired by learning ow others manage waste. If it helps you, I'm glad you are bringing these back.

    ReplyDelete