Sunday, March 12, 2017

Groceries This Week (March 2017)



I am striving to keep my grocery bill to $450 or under for March. I am aiming for $100 less than a "normal" budgeted month.  But, I'm game to try!  =)
What is included in my monthly budget?  Food, paper and cleaning products, and health/beauty items.  We are a family of four....Papa, Me, Guppy1 (18), and Guppy2 (14).  Plus we often will have an impromptu dinner guest or two thanks to the Guppies!  =)
Last week I ended up spending only $33.37 AND was treated by my parents to decent sized Costco haul for free!  That leaves me with $416.63 for the rest of the month.
Even with the Costco haul, a LOT of my kitchen still seems pretty bare by our "normal" standards.  So, off I went to the grocery stores this week to try to do some cherry picking and overall shopping because of the big sleepover last night....


Olivers:  $37.84
1 120ct paper napkins
1 container (18) bite sized apple strudel
1 box Prince ziti
1 box Prince linguini
2 boxes Kraft Mac n Cheese
1 5lb bag of red potatoes
1 lb Boars Head (our preferred deli brand) American cheese
1/2 lb Boars Head Teryaki chicken
1 (8 oz) package white button mushrooms
1 (2.5lb) corned beef brisket (Never made it before but, Papa loves it and, since it was on sale, I am willing to try to make it.)


Aldi's:  $37.94
1 (5lb) bag Jasmine rice
1 bottle vegetable oil
1 bottle pancake syrup
3 cream cheese
1 box iodized salt
1 can cherry pie filling
1 large container of oats
1 bag AP flour
1 box Cheez-Its
1 box Frosted Shredded Wheat
1 box Marshmallow & Stars cereal
1 box saltine crackers
1 loaf white bread
1 container (12) croissants
1 bag of powdered sugar
1 bag of oyster crackers
1 mini cherry pie (impulse buy big time! and it was delicious!  LOL)
1 box clubhouse crackers
1 container of salted caramels
1 bag of honey mustard pretzel pieces


Big Y:  $58.46
2 packages of Udon
2 packages of peanut butter cookie mix
1 box kosher salt
1 very large bottle of soy sauce
1 bottle of chili paste
1 jar of Newman's salsa
1 box Cap N Crunch
1 (6 pack) store brand everything bagels
1 container Hershey chocolate syrup
1 bag store brand chocolate chips
1.5 lbs green peppers
1 6pack of Poland Spring
2 pouches of chocolate chip muffin mix
2 packages of English muffins*
6 Sparkling Ice drinks
*was supposed to be buy one/get one but when I noticed I was charged for both and brought the receipt back later they stated I bought the "excluded" flavors.  I'm not sure what flavors the buy/get applied to then because she read off all the excluded flavors which were every one I knew!


ShopRite:  $99*
*they are doing a "rounding up" for hunger donation thing which is why the number is even
1 jar of chocolate sprinkles
4 bottles of Ajax laundry detergent
3 12 packs of Pepsi products
2 bottles of Aussie Instant Freeze hairspray (preferred brand and on decent sale)
4 tubes of Colgate toothpaste
2 Lady Speedstick deodorants
2 Men Speedstick deodorants
1 package of Glad garbage bags (8 count)
1 box of Philly Cheesesteak steakumms
1 (16 oz) container of sour cream
1 box pizza rolls
1 bottle extra  virgin olive oil
2 half gallons of Friendly's ice cream
2 Perdue chicken nuggets
1 bag curly fries
1 5lb bag of russet potatoes
1 bag Wise regular flavor chips
1 bag Nacho cheese Doritos
1 bag Wise Garlic and Onion flavor chips
1 bag of Sweet Chili flavor Doritos
1 bag honey wheat pretzels
1 bag regular pretzel twists
1 bag of tortillas (10 count)
1 3lb bag of onions
1 bag UTZ honey BBQ chips
1.5 lbs of red grapes
1 lb of strawberries
1 bag (6 count) Portugese rolls
1 carton (18) eggs

Farmer's Market:  $23
1 quart whole milk
1 pint heavy cream
1 pint maple yogurt
1 pint cherry yogurt
1/2 loaf of Jewish rye bread (for corned beef sandwiches next week)
1/2 loaf walnut black pepper bread



Total Spent This Week:  $256.24!
Well! That happened pretty damn fast!
However, I won't be doing any shopping next week unless we need Snapple, fruit, or veg.  And, of course next Saturday's farmers market for more dairy.  I'm relatively happy with the stock I have now and can easily make meals for the next week plus!

Grocery $$$ Left for the Month:  $160.39While there is a whole lotta month left, I am not too concerned. Staying within budget is still pretty doable at the moment -especially if I continue to use up leftovers as well as I have been so far in March.

6 comments:

  1. Best wishes to you keeping on budget. I'm amazed when I read families have much lower budgets. It's truly tricky to stay on budget.
    Some of your purchased surprised me. We are fans of all Aldi chips and their low price. I get most of our produce there too. But we don't like their saltine crackers. We all have different tastes, don't we?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Rhonda...I haven't ever bought the Aldi saltines before so I'll let you know what we think of them when we try them. If you were surprised by the amount of processed & junk food on this week's list, I have to agree with you. Looking back, there was quite a bit which I will do my best to try and make last the rest of the month. =)

      Delete
  2. Good luck on your grocery budget. I have been doing much of our shopping at Aldi's this year in an effort to lower our grocery bill. I have noticed that we aren't spending as much. It is hard though as my hubby complains sometimes about not having the name brand items. Although he did admit this past week that Aldi's "thin mint" type cookies were just as good as the Girl Scout cookies I had bought the week before. I told him and they were less than $1.50 for the pack, where the GS cookies were $4 a box. I am slowly winning him over! LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rachel, I had to laugh about your husband's wariness to the Aldi brands because G2 is especially guilty of this sort of thing! Unfortunately, unlike your husband, I don't think I will be winning G2 over anytime soon! ;)

      Delete
  3. Hurrah for staying on target! I know it is hard with teens in the house.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It definitely can be difficult with teens! I'm fortunate that I have two girls because, from what I understand, teenage boys require MUCH more! ;) Then again, I do see that when the girls' boyfriends are around! LOL

      Delete