Saturday, March 18, 2017

Groceries This Week (March 2017)



I am striving to keep my grocery bill to $450 or under for March. I am aiming for $100 less than a "normal" budgeted month.  Don't know if it can happen, but, I'm game to try!  =)
What is included in my monthly budget?  Food, paper and cleaning products, and health/beauty items.  We are a family of four....Papa, Me, Guppy1 (18), and Guppy2 (14).  Plus we often will have an impromptu dinner guest or two thanks to the Guppies!  =)
After last week's big trips, I had $160.39 left in the March budget.  Let's see what happened this week...
The plan to stay out of the grocery store....and that didn't happen completely.  Having two extra kids snowed in for two days, thus feeding six of us, took more than I anticipated.  However, the loaf of bread stayed mostly intact - LOL....Joke from another post earlier this week.  Plus since I have been having (what we think is) an MS flare up, I needed to adjust some things around.
Here's what I did spend...

Big Y: $73.29
1 store brand cream cheese block
1/2 lb of store brand butter - price was right and it should hold me (hopefully) until a new sale
1 (16 oz) container of Daisy sour cream
1 (32 oz) store brand whole milk (I knew I should have grabbed two at the farmer's market!)
1 (18 count) package of eggs
1.5 lbs American cheese (deli)
1 bag Ore-Ida fries
3 half gallons ice cream (buy one/get two)
1 (12 pack) diet Raspberry Snapple
1 jar pickled ginger
1 container of chocolate sprinkles
1 container of Rinaldi pasta sauce
1 Ortega taco dinner kit
1 package store brand hamburger rolls
4 (32 oz each) Gatorades
1 container fresh salsa
1 bag green beans
1 bag croutons
1 (8oz) container of sliced mushrooms
1 (12 oz) bag of salad mix
1 container of Marie's Super Blue Cheese dressing
1 (2lb) bag of whole carrots


Groceries: $$$?
My parents know that I have been having trouble with my leg and wanted to help in the best way they knew how!  =)  I don't have a receipt so I have no clue what this all cost.   But I feel like I have to add it here to be fair so you guys know that I received more help....and didn't wonder where all the extra stuff for meals came from!  Haha
So, what did we get?  I'll try to break it down into meals first and then miscellaneous.  My parents gave me everything in its "raw" form.  (They figured it was helpful to have the stuff in the house and not need to do any additional walking around the store.)
1.  Chili fixings:  ground beef, cheese, peppers, canned diced tomatoes, canned red kidney beans, onions,and canned diced green chili peppers
2. Stuffed Shells: (G2 loves stuffed shells and they know it!)  dried shells, ricotta cheese, mozzarella cheese, sauce PLUS salad mix, olives from the olive bar, cherry tomatoes, and two types of dressings
3,  Fajitas:  Flank steak, onions, peppers, tortillas, cheese
4.  London Broil, sweet potatoes
Also purchased:
2 frozen mini chicken pot pies (throw back to my childhood)
1 frozen mini turkey pot pie
1 frozen mini beef pot pie
1 large bag of pizza rolls
1 veggie sushi for G1
1 kid cuisine for G2 (she hasn't had this in forever and apparently they can be oven cooked)
1 container of 12 mini St. Patrick's Day cupcakes
1 box Cheez-Its
6 pack of Vitamin Water
6 pack of Sparkling Ice drink
and, in case you are wondering...
NO loaves of bread were purchased...I'm guessing that's because I told my parents how MUCH we went through during Tuesday's storm.  Bahahaha!


Farmer's Market:  $10
1 quart of whole milk
1 pint heavy cream - free!  They were already out their heavy cream at 11:00 am so they gave me the pint  for free because it was at its sell date
1 pint blueberry yogurt
1/2 loaf of olive bread




Total Spent This Week:  $83.29
Total Left in March Budget:  $77.10

We are definitely still in "doable" range to stay on budget.. A large part being the free supplies my parents gifted us!  I have quite a few meals sketched out (in my head mostly) for the coming days which is a bonus.  I anticipate needing fruits/veggies, milk, Snapple, and soda - my downfall and one I'm trying to work on -before the month is over.

How is everyone doing with their March menus and grocery bills?

8 comments:

  1. Do t you feel bad, accepting so much from your parents so frequently you are only fooling yourself that you can stick to a budget when they give you so much. You need to budget based on what your family earns or you are just fooling yourself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought about removing this comment but decided to address it instead...No, I don't "feel bad" about accepting so much from my parents because they only give me what they can afford to do. They offer to do things to help out my family, as their parents did for them. It's what they do/how they express their love and we are extremely appreciative and tell them that quite often. Also, as I wrote above, this week's help was more due to my issues with my leg than anything else. They wanted to give me things that would be easy and readily available for me/my husband to cook and help me not have to go to the store for a bit so I can rest my leg more. We DO base our budget on what my husband earns. And, as I said in the beginning of the post, I was aiming for a smaller amount this month than usual....meaning, I could very well use more of the money WE earn if needed. I don't consider myself a "fool" since I am very much aware of the situation we are in financially overall. I am in no way, shape, or form unaware of things that my family needs to do to improve our situation. As everyone situation is different, I don't believe it fair to cast judgement when you aren't in someone's shoes. So, I suggest that, if my blog/way of life upsets you or isn't your cup of tea, to go ahead and stop reading it. Have a great day.

      Delete
  2. Traycee, as a mom of adult kids, and child of an older mother, it thrills me when I am able to help either generation. When we travel to Portland TheHub and I not only pay for groceries, but we go to the store and get them then bring them back to their house.
    I will even cook meals for their freezer. They accept it graciously because it is truly a gift to me to be able to help them. The situation is different with Son3 in New York. He has limited storage space so instead of buying him groceries we give him gift cards to Trader Joe's and Whole Foods. As for Mom, she tries to pay me back for anything I buy for her, so I just cook "too much" and take it to her or invite her here to eat then give her the leftovers. I could never repay all she did for me until she physically no longer could.
    So my advice it to accept your parents generosity gratefully because they would not offer it unless it pleased them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Anne! And that is completely the truth! My parents are decently well off - take at least four vacations a year (used to be more before my dad got Parkinsons)and do/buy all the things they love/want. It's not like I'm taking anything from them and they are going "without". It's how they show they care. End of story there. I decided to address the above troll because I am fairly certain of who she is...I have it narrowed down between two people actually. Both of whom I don't agree with on a lot of things....which is fine. We don't have to agree with everyone. Just please move along then, you know? But, thanks so much for the backup! I truly appreciate it! =)

      Delete
  3. Just catching up. I am so sorry you are dealing with this new symptom. Here if you need to talk.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yum! How nice of your parents to bring everything for specific meals. And yummy ones, too! :) You are doing a really great job on your budget -- I bet you can totally stay within your cap. I've been doing a pantry challenge again this month and am trying to stay at $100. It's really tough. I have a hard time understanding how some families manage to do that every month, for a much larger number of people. I think it just goes to show that one size fits all definitely does not apply to budgets, particularly grocery budgets. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Laura! I agree it was really helpful...almost like bringing someone a meal when they are sick but just deconstructed! LOL They have an idea of what we like to eat and just went with the general ingredients of that dish. My parents would rather bring the groceries than cook everything anyway. It also amazes me how low people can get their grocery bills and still feed everyone in their family well. I love reading their posts about it and hope to glean some of their ways! =)

      Delete