Tuesday, March 14, 2017

Only ONE Loaf of Bread?!?!




I was having a conversation with my mom yesterday about the contingency plans she and my brother had regarding today's snowstorm.  My mom is a nurse at a well known university and was working last night (having to drive home in the storm).  My brother, who is a biomedical engineer assigned to the tristate area plus parts of Pennsylvania and Massachusetts, was scheduled to be in Cape Cod this week.  (In case you are curious, Mom got out of work two hours earlier since the day shift was required to show up early.  And, my brother did not have to attempt travel to the Cape.)
Anyway..
The conversation turned towards food supplies.  When she found out that I had one lonely loaf of bread, she was incredulous! Here was the general conversation....

Mom, practically screaming...."Only ONE loaf of bread?!?!"
Me:  "Ummm, yeah."
Mom:  "What if the kids want sandwiches? French Toast?"
Me:  "I think we will be okay. Besides, I have croissants, and English muffins, half a loaf of Jewish rye, and a LOT of crackers.  Plus I could actually BAKE bread if I need it that bad."
Mom:  "But don't you need more bread from the store?"

LOL.  No Mom, I don't think we are going to starve! 
After that conversation, imagine what she said this morning to me (I asked her to call me when she got home safely) when she found out that I have FOUR children in the house instead of just my TWO!  Hahaha!

To her credit, there actually WAS a food shortage back in the Blizzard of '78.  I was only 7 and only remember how much FUN that snow was!  I wasn't a parent worrying about the fact that supplies couldn't reach the grocery stores because the state was essentially crippled for a week.
 
And, if I'm not completely mistaken (which I may be), I *think* the whole "gotta go buy the bread and milk" stuff began from that 1978 blizzard!


I wasn't pulling my mom's leg about the extra mouths to feed.  I DO have two extra kiddos for this blizzardy snowed in day!  G1 asked if Ramsey could come yesterday afternoon and stay for the duration - which is good since we can put him to work with Papa clearing the snow!  =)  And, then G2 asked to have her BFF sleepover too.  As Papa put it when I ran it by him, "Does it even matter after you add one extra person?"  G2's BFF is practically my third child anyway and, well, Ramsey is fast becoming part of the family too so it doesn't matter all that much to have them here.

As for the snow...

The weathermen are calling for a few hours of possible rain to mix in later but it only lowered my area of the state's overall prediction a tad - we were downgraded from 15 to 25 inches to now 12 to 24 inches.  BUT, now that snow is going to be super saturated and heavy due to any rain we get.  Lovely right?  Winds are supposed to still be brutal and high so the threat of power outages still loom over us.  I have no idea if there will be school tomorrow.

It's 10am and everyone but G2 and me are still sleeping!  Once they wake up, I will make sure everyone is fed and is charging their phones!  I also charged three portable phone charges overnight should we lose power because, hey, I know how teenagers are with their phones!  LOL  I'm hoping to talk at least half of the crew here into a game of Monopoly which I think could be a lot of fun with this many people.  And, much to what will be Ramsey's delight, I will let him start a fire - he's been itching to start one since last night!  =)

Well, I'm off to clean the kitchen and then pull something out of the freezer for dinner tonight....I'm thinking a nice roast chicken could hit the spot today.....Fingers crossed we keep power!

Have a great and safe Tuesday everyone!

16 comments:

  1. I hope you don't lose power either. That is a lot of snow. We didn't get a ton of snow last night...only about 2-3 inches, but it is refreezing today so they closed schools around here. A game of monopoly sounds like fun. I am hoping to get a game of Scrabble going on with the kids today. Am also going to be baking brownies and making chili today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds like a great day for you too! We decided to try to make a simple cheesecake later for dessert tonight. =) While I doubt we are going to get the higher amounts predicted, we probably have about ten inches on the ground so far. But, there is a good amount of sleet/rain mixed in at the moment so I'm guessing clearing the snow later is going to be challenging....

      Delete
  2. With the extra kids at the house instead of baking bread I suggest making cookies! I hope this storm turns into a nice fun "snowcation" for y'all. We rarely (By rarely I mean once every 10 or so years) get snowstorms and we do typically lose power but we have great memories of the fun we had with our kids and their friends then.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cookies were made yesterday! =) Like I mentioned to Rachel, we are probably going to make a simple cheesecake for after dinner. So much for eating healthy right now! Haha! And, yeah I agree about making memories - which is why I agreed to let both girls have someone over. =)

      Delete
  3. I thought people only panicked like that in the South lol.

    We don't do a lot of running out and buying things for storms either. I normally bake a loaf of bread, make a pot of soup, and settle in.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nope! Definitely a thing for some New Englanders too! And, guess how much bread I have left today (Wednesday)? Almost the entire loaf - minus three of four slices! Haha! Your way of handling snowstorms sounds super cozy by the way.

      Delete
  4. I'm stupidly jealous! We had no huge snoes, no snow days, no excuse for staying home (though we did but not the same.) I hope you keep power but sounds like you are well prepared.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know, SAM, I can completely understand how you would feel that way. I felt that way too when I saw other bloggers getting buried back in January/February. But, now it's too close to Spring for me to appreciate! LOL

      Delete
  5. Most work and schools were canceled yesterday. The snow totals (MD) didn't amount to what they predicted as we only got 6 inches. However, the sleet and freezing rain mixed in made it very heavy and more dangerous. However, most roads got cleared and everyone is back to work and school today. Now we just have to watch out for the high winds and the snow and ice that didn't get cleared as the temps are going to stay in the 20's today.

    It was great having the day off yesterday. I had been out of town for several days and it was nice to have the extra time to catch up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely perfect timing for you to get a chance to unwind and catch up! Glad you were able to "beat" the storm, travel wise. The kids are off of school today (Wednesday) too. While the main roads are pretty okay to travel on, the side roads are a mess! I'm worried if the plows can do their magic and clean the roads better today, there may even be a delay tomorrow due to ice/refreezing. Time will tell....

      Delete
  6. I was 21 during the blizzard of '78 and remember it well. I stupidly drove home from work, a drive of about 20 minutes, and it took a couple of hours. I didn't phone home as I knew my mom would freak if she knew I was on the road. This is pre-cell phone days and the roads I was driving on was closed to goodness only knows what I would have done if I'd ended up in the ditch. Ahhhh, good memories :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow....I can relate. The LAST time I actually tried driving in a real snowstorm was back in February 1991. I was in college and working during the evening when the snow really ramped up. There was only me and another girl in the office that night (no supervisors) and when, we saw it getting bad, we decided to leave. Like you, what should have been about a 20 minute drive took me over two hours and included a 360 degree spin out on a main road - thankfully no one was coming in either direction! Pre-cell phone for me too! And, that's pretty much why I won't drive in snow if I don't absolutely have to do it! =)

      Delete
  7. I'm on the same boat as your momma :) I'm an avid preparer, dare I say prepper. Although bread is not a staple in our home. I never understood the milk & bread stock up philosophy. We are still getting hit with snow in the Great Lakes region. My little one is LOVING it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I saw your prep post and can completely understand where you are coming from with it! It's just the focus on the bread was kinda funny! =)

      Delete
  8. Laughing because I would totally have that conversation with my mom and then feel horrible about it so I would do something about it. I don't even buy bread at the store. I have weird preparations for storms that my husband never understands like taking everything from the regular freezer and anything that can be frozen and putting it in the deep freeze. I prepare for power outage every time! I lived through two ice storms in my life and I always prepare that we might have to cook everything in the freezer. I have gotten pretty good at grilling everything :) Hope you made it through the bread emergency without a scratch :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alison, your prepping isn't weird! It makes total Thankfully we didn't lose power and we made it through with no issues! LOL

      Delete