Saturday, April 8, 2017

April Grocery Budget and First Week's Shopping



Time for a new month! 

For April's grocery budget, I am going raising my amount back to $550.  I am hoping to stockpile some much needed pantry items this month.  We will see how it goes!
What is included in my monthly budget?  Food, paper and cleaning products, and health/beauty items.  We are a family of four....Papa, Me, Guppy1 (18), and Guppy2 (14).  Plus we often will have an impromptu dinner guest or two thanks to the Guppies!  =)



Big Y:  $19.40
1 pint of store brand butternut squash soup
1 bottle of Brianna's Poppy Seed dressing - I have been dying for poppy seed and haven't been able to find it before now!
1 loaf of Dave's Killer Bread - been hearing a lot about this bread and had to try it myself
1 loaf store brand white bread
6 store brand "Ice" style drinks
1.5 lbs of Fuji apples
1 large cantaloupe

CVS:  $20.33
G2 came down with a bad sore and itchy throat (including red spots!) which needed a late night run to the pharmacy....
CVS brand Benadryl (needed to make sure the itchiness wasn't due to allergies)
2 bags of throat lozenges
1 bag of Chips Ahoy! cookies
1 bag of Double Stuffed Oreos
(cookies were a request from the patient! LOL)

Whitneyville Food Center:  $11.48*
*included a bottle deposit which we will get refunded at next Farmer's Market
1 quart whole milk
1 pint raspberry yogurt
Farmer's market got cancelled on April 1st and we were completely out of milk and yogurt.  Papa really wanted the "good" dairy so we went to the only store we know of that sells our vendor's brand.


Big Y:  $42.14*
*Ramsey was here and decided to cook Eggplant Parmesan for us!  I decided, since I am trying for a lifestyle change, that it would be okay to have some - since it's one of my favorite dishes.  But, this is why this total is more expensive - fresh mozzarella isn't cheap!  But it was so worth it and less expensive than the five of us eating out! Plus it made such a large amount that there were leftovers for lunch AND I froze about half of it for a future meal!
1 dozen eggs
1 bag of freshly grated parmesan cheese
1 lb fresh mozzarella log
3 large cans of whole Italian tomatoes
1 small container of panko
1 store brand bag of flour (5lb)
1 store brand bag of sugar (4lb)
1 container of poppy seed dressing
Monster energy drink (for Ramsey)
1 large container of basil
1 package of salad mix
2 lbs of eggplant

CVS:  $40.69*
* I debated whether or not to include this because about 90% of it is for the Guppies Easter baskets.  BUT, since most of it is consumables or health/beauty products, I am adding it all into my grocery budget.  The rest of what I put in the Easter baskets will be gift cards most likely.  I used $3 in ECB, a $2 coupon for the paper towels, and a coupon for $10/$40 coupon.  All in all, I think it was a decent haul....at least for me!
For the Easter baskets:
6 face masks (assorted varieties)
3 chocolate covered pomegranate seeds (Buy 1/Get 2)
2 bags of Kit Kats (Buy 1/Get 50% off 2nd)
2 Godiva chocolate bunnies (Buy 1/Get 50% off 2nd)
Regular Health/Beauty:
1 box of "family planning" protection items
2 packages of CVS brand razors (Buy1/Get 50% off 2nd)
1 roll of CVS brand paper towels

Target:  $11.19*
*This trip was solely for snacks for G2's BFF's birthday party.  I ended up not needing to buy as much because BFF's aunt is taking the BFF, her boyfriend, G2, and G2's boyfriend out for a birthday dinner.  They will return to my house after and the rest of the kids aren't coming until 7:30 pm so I won't have to make/provide dinner for everyone.  I was able to apply the remaining balance of a gift card so this total reflects that.
2 bags of family sized Doritos
1 family sized bag of potato chips
1 family sized bag of mini pretzels
1 large container (3 lbs) Pop Secret popcorn kernels
1 tub of Nestle chocolate chip cookie dough


Farmer's Market:  $23.00
1 quart of milk
1 pint of heavy cream
1 pint of blueberry yogurt
1 pint of maple yogurt
1/2 loaf of olive bread
1/2 loaf of pain au...something I can't remember but the bread is sooo yummy!  LOL


Total for this week:  $168.23
Remaining in April's budget:  $381.77

Phew!  Spendy first week of the month!  I know at some point this weekend I will be heading out to a couple of stores to cherry pick - mainly flour and sugar that caught my eye!  Plus, I need to grab a few things for Easter dinner - like the ham!  Even though we aren't having a big dinner with my parents, we will still have a nice smaller dinner with the four of us plus Ramsey. 
Still I think what's left in my April budget is completely do-able.

Hope everyone is having a great Saturday!
I'm off to do a bit more cleaning before the kids come - I think we are up to a total of nine including G2!  Wish me luck!  =)

5 comments:

  1. I enjoyed your post. I hope you have a CVS card to get rewards on your purchases there.
    We aren't having ham for Easter, but our Aldi has spiral hams for $1.19 so we bought 2

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Rhonda! Yes, I have and love my CVS card! LOL
      Thanks for the tip about Aldi's! I will have to check and see if we have a similar sale at my closest one.

      Delete
  2. I made your quiche and it was delicious!!! I love mushrooms. No one else in my family does, So, this is a great recipe to use them. I took it to work each day. In fact, I bought more mushrooms yesterday and am making another one today. Thanks again for the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mia! Glad you enjoyed the quiche so much! =)

      Delete
  3. Smithfield spiral hams at BJ's for 1.69 lb

    ReplyDelete