Thursday, April 6, 2017

Gas, Garbage, & A Recipe




Gas
This month I am aiming for $130 or under in gas for my car.  I did really well last month (coming in at $20 under) so I am hoping to do that again!  As I mentioned last week, I was trying to eek out what I had left in my tank until April 1st.  I was able to do that which makes me really happy.  I ended up filling up my tank on Sunday to the tune of $27.50, leaving me with $102.50 for the rest of the month.  Even better, I have over 3/4 of a tank left since I haven't done much driving this week!  This is a HUGE bonus since the Guppies have April vacation next week so my driving will probably be ramped up quite a bit.


Garbage
Well, I guess it's to be expected that extra garbage and Spring Cleaning go hand in hand.  While I tried to recycle and repurpose as much as I could, we still ended up with four kitchen (13 gallon) sized trash bags.  Seeing that much garbage again is a good reminder about consumerism and bringing extra crap-ola into the house.




Finally, so the post isn't too terribly boring, I'll leave you with a tried and true recipe I dusted off yesterday!  I have been making it off and on for at least six plus years and it hasn't let me down yet!

Wheat berry & Fruit Salad*
*don't let the wheat berry put you off! Wheat berries are delicious and easy to handle.  However,  I have also used different grains in the past.  As a matter of fact, I used a quick cooking farro yesterday since that's what I had lingering in my cupboard!  If you use another form of grain, cook it and skip to step #2!

Ingredients
1 cup wheat berries
3 T olive oil
2 T water
1 1/2 T cider vinegar
2 t Dijon mustard
salt & pepper to taste
1/4 cup dried cranberries
1 large apple, cut into bite sized pieces
1 cup red seedless grapes, halved
1/2 cup diced Cheddar cheese

Directions
1.  Bring 4 cups of water to a boil.  Add wheat berries, reduce heat, cover, and cook for approximately 50 minutes.  (Wheat berries are done when they are like al dente pasta)  Drain well.

2.  Whisk oil, water, vinegar, Dijon, and salt & pepper in a large bowl.  Add cranberries and warm wheat berries, tossing to coat well.  Let stand at least 10 minutes to absorb flavors.  Toss occasionally during this time.

3.  Add remaining ingredients and toss to mix/coat.

Notes:
I have made this ahead of time and kept in the fridge for a couple of days.  I have never had an issue with the apples browning - I'm guessing that's because of the cider vinegar in the dressing.

This is a recipe I (very minimally) adapted from a magazine.  I think it was originally from Woman's Day many years ago.



Have a happy Thursday!

4 comments:

  1. The recipe sounds very tasty. I will have to give it a whirl. Thanks so much for sharing it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Let me know what you think when you do! =)

      Delete
  2. I've been trying to keep to a budget of $100 for gas for my truck. It's going to be harder with the price of gas going up by about 14 cents a litre!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gas prices are climbing here too! But, as the weather gets nicer, I plan on trying to walk to some of my smaller errands. We will see how it goes!

      Delete