Tuesday, April 25, 2017

Groceries Lately and An Update.....





Thank you everyone for keeping my brother in law in your thoughts.  I think I have felt every emotion possible over the course of the last two years about his condition....Now I am just so sad for him and hoping for a miracle. He has a LOT of baby steps to go through before we stop worrying about him.  And, things can go either way at any time right now so it's hard to relax when it comes to him.

As of writing this on Monday night, it appears the heavy duty clotting medications have helped.  The doctors are cautiously optimistic that the bleed is slowing, if not stopped.  But, since there was no true rhyme or reason as to why it started in the first place, no one can predict if this will continue to be the case. 

The doctors decided to stop the clotting meds to see if W (Papa's brother) could hold his own.  So far, so good.  But, he is constantly being monitored and is in the "step down" ICU.    If his levels tank, they will start giving him blood again and (I'm guessing) the clotting agent.

If the doctors can get this bleeding under control, we think he would be extremely high on the liver list - he was relisted I think at least a month ago.  While we were originally told his kidneys were toast, the doctors aren't as certain now.  It's a catch 22 - if we hope his kidneys are functioning well enough on their own, his placement on the liver list goes down.

I refuse to let myself go on the rant I currently feel about his "wife".  The only thing I will say is that there is zero support coming from her and scarcely any visits from her or their children.  So, W's support mainly comes from Papa....My mother in law tries her hardest but ends up fighting a LOT with W due to her frustration/anger/sadness.  Oh, and Papa is in charge of W's living will because Papa is the only person W trusts to do the right thing...whatever the circumstances, if needed.

I think I am going to try to head up to the hospital on Wednesday morning to visit him for a bit and have lunch with Papa.  Tuesday is too crazy with appointments for both Guppies.

And, that's where it stands currently.











For April's grocery budget, I am going raising my amount back to $550.  I am hoping to stockpile some much needed pantry items this month.  We will see how it goes!
What is included biin my monthly budget?  Food, paper and cleaning products, and health/beauty items.  We are a family of four....Papa, Me, Guppy1 (18), and Guppy2 (14).  Plus we often will have an impromptu dinner guest or two thanks to the Guppies!  =)


After last week's grocery trips, I have $178.19 .   Let's see how I did this week....

Okay, so let's be honest...right now there are way bigger things in life than my grocery budget.  While I don't want to completely blow it and go crazy, I am also giving myself a little grace under the current situation.  That being said, I do plan on staying accountable to see where I end up for the month....I'm just not going to beat myself up over the end number.

Big Y:  $75.75
Big Y has been my store of choice lately....Especially when I had to drive my car around on the "donut".  Big Y is literally around the corner from my house which translates into the least amount of driving.  I'll be getting new tires towards the end of the week. (I did get the tires taken care of last week.)

1 large bottle of Tropicana OJ
1 1/2 gallon of Friendly's Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough ice cream
1 package of hashbrown patties
1 bottle of Tamari soy sauce
1 bottle of rice wine vinegar
1 bottle of store brand pancake syrup
1 bottle Hershey chocolate syrup
1 container of chocolate sprinkles
1 (38 oz) bottle of Heinz ketchup
1 bottle of Sweet Baby Ray's BBQ sauce
1 bag of jasmine rice
1 large box of Lucky Charms
1 large box of Frosted Mini Wheats
2 (6 packs) of Gatorade
3 packages of split chicken breasts
2 lbs of strawberries
1 platter of veggie sushi with 2 spicy sauces

The above trip has more "junky" food than I would have liked but I bought the ice cream and toppings for G2 (who has been begging me to buy more).



Big Y:  $92.41
store brand cream cheese
1 lb deli American cheese
1 package grinder rolls (6)
1 bag Ore-Ida zesty fries
1 bag Ore-Ida tater tots
1 (12 pk) diet Snapple
1 bag farro
1 Rinaldi pasta sauce
1 (25 foot) foil
1 bag jasmine rice
1 package store brand "Shake n Bake"
1 (12 pack) store brand English muffins
5 (32 oz) bottles of Gatorade
2 bags of Perdue popcorn chicken
2 packages of London broil
2 packages boneless pork chops
1 jar of Maries blue cheese dressing
1 large clamshell of Olivia's organic spring mix
2 lemons
1 container of heirloom tomatoes
1 head of garlic
2 containers of "spicy sauce"
1 large container of seafood salad


Total Spent:  $168.24
Left in April Budget:  $9.95

So, that's where I stand right now.  I'm almost positive that measley $9.95 isn't going to cut it for the rest of the week.  But, I will try to keep it in mind while balancing the rest of life right now.


Hope you all have a great day!


2 comments:

  1. Wishing the family the best possible outcome. I know it is difficult all the way around.
    Balancing life is much more important that balancing s grocery budget right now.

    ReplyDelete