Tuesday, May 23, 2017

May Groceries Update & Moving Forward



So, about those groceries....

I'll be completely honest.....

I blew it this month!

And, to make matter worse, I accidentally threw out my unrecorded receipts in a spurt of cleaning frenzy!  And, I am NOT going to go through that particular bag of trash because, well, it's just not worth it to me this month.

However, piecing together what I can from memory and my online banking information, I have spent upwards of $700 this month.

YIKES!

In times of stress, I allow stress eating and convenience foods to reign supreme in my house - a combination that is never good for the waist or the budget!

So, as the dust settles down here, I am plugging up the leaks and going to try to right myself by seeing how long I can make what I already have in the kitchen/pantry last.  NO MORE GROCERY SHOPPING! (At least for a little while)  The only exception to this is our farmer's market but even there I plan on keeping my spending on the lower side for at least the next few weeks.

As we eat down our inventory, I am going to be mindful of trying to stash away some freezer meals to help in times of busyness and crisis.  I mean, let's face it, these things happen - maybe not always in the succession they have lately for my family but still a fact of life.

Also, moving forward, I am thinking about bringing back some version of our menu plan/what we have eaten for the week.  While it isn't the most interesting post, I do think it keeps me more accountable so I want to bring it back, even if it's mostly for me.  Although, maybe the next few weeks post will be a little more interesting because I may have to get creative with my meals!  LOL

Am I ready for a challenge like this?  Honestly, I am not 100% sure since I don't know if there are any more "bad things" around the corner BUT continuing on the current path isn't going to be helpful or sustainable either.....

So, I'm going to give it my all and see what I can accomplish!

Does anyone else seem to shop more/fall back on convenience in times of stress/busyness like I do?  Sometimes I feel like I am an extreme case.  Haha!

1 comment:

  1. I normally don;t use convenience foods often even in stressful times, but during those times we seem to do a lot os Thai or Chinese takeout. Busts the budget just the same!

    ReplyDelete